Dogomania

Training questions

imported_nea

How do I get Web to be able to focus on me and listen when there are other dogs/people/exciting things around? He is SO good in the house, and I can let him loose around other people because I know he'll come when I call. But with other dogs... :-? He gets so excited that he doesn't listen. Since we are going to a puppy-class I guess he'll learn to work aorund other dogs. But other stuff, like sometimes just a stick, will consume all his concentration and he gets completely unaware of anything else, including me. Maybe that will be good when we compete in Agility and Obedience, since he will want to do well, or something? But he HAS to be able to listen to me. For is own safetly and freedom as much as for me to have an easier time. I'm teaching him "look at me" with the clicker, adn its working, sort of. He does eventually look at me... I guess he'll speed up with it. But still....

Another thing is candy. He goes crazy. When we are training "heel" in the basement he's good except his teeth get my fingers because he is so eager to get the treats (we do clicker training, so I need the treats) but outside he won't walk at my side anymore. He just tries to get the treats. Its frustrating! :x How come I am so much better at teaching him tricks than I am at teaching obedience? :-?

Hmmm....I have a similar problem. For Web, maybe you can get a retractable or 20+ fot long leash and whenever you take him out, put that leash on him. Let him run until you want him to come back. Call him and when he doesn't come, start pulling him back to you and reward him. Once he comes when called because he knows he is getting a treat, try letting him off leash. That is what I have been doing.

Now, for Candy, maybe clicker training isn't the greatest idea. But, if you choose to continue, you should use a command like "gentle" or "calm" and reward her when she calms down...then she will learn that getting the treat intales calming down. Once you have the "calm" (or whatever word you choose to use) down you can start a training session off with this command and inbetween different commands like sit or down, you use this command again.

Hope that this helps.... :D