Dogomania

Chicken Bones Eek!

pzoo9

I take both of my dogs to the beach pretty much every day. One dog's favorite game is tracking down chicken bones (people use wings as bait.) and eating them. Once she has it, I can't get her to drop it or stop. If I see it first I can physically get her to leave it, but once it is in her mouth, there is no getting it out. She has chewed my fingers in one of my attempts to get the object. ouch! She is just trying to chew really fast and swallow. So I am worried if I go in there she is going to swallow something wrong and definitely send us to surgery, instead of just maybe.

I am practicing putting her in a down and putting treats around her and making her only accept treats from me. I am currently putting things out and walking by "no" items and then treating her when she gets it right. I just don't know how to get the point across with the chicken bones...

Wow, I never thought of chicken wings as bait....but hey, I don't fish! :D

OK, you're right in that you really do need to prevent your dog from eating them. Fresh raw chicken bones are flexible and won't do harm but bones that have either been cooked or dried out can cause serious dammage.

Training a really good "leave it" would be ideal which is what you're shooting for. Until your dog will reliably leave things at command or eat only from you, you may want to consider getting a basket muzzle just for safety. A basket muzzle is simply that...sorta a big wire basket that is fastened around the dog's muzzle. Dogs can bark, pant, drink water (as long as the container is large enough for the muzzle) and do just about anything except eat something from the ground through the muzzle.

I have a friend who has a Dobe with Persistant Right Aortic Arch. Angel, the Dobe, can never eat from a normal position. Food will lodge in her throat and kill her. She must eat meals from a stepladder. Whenever Angel is outside she wears a basket muzzle for her own protection.... to prevent her from trying to eat anything.

If you'd like to see Angel the website is [url]http://bellsouthpwp.net/a/d/adamas1/angel.html[/url] It's been quite a while since I looked at it but, there used to be some pics there of Angle with her basket muzzle on.