Dogomania

Jack Russels (attn Mary's Mama!)

alicat613

Urgh. The dreaded Parson Russell question. It's okay it is difficult to understand, and even I get it screwed up sometimes. Okay lets see how to break this down.

[b]Size:[/b]
There are two distinct height groups in Jacks, 10-12.5" and 12.5" to 15". The first would be considered in slang as a puddin and the latter a parson.
There are many conflicting reports as to why this is. The names are easier to explain. The "parson" is called this because this is the standard as set forth by Parson John Russell, the founder of the breed. The puddin got its name because they often were used around the farm house to keep rodents at bay, thus earning their pudding. The puddin story could be a load of crap but it is cute. :wink:

[b]Clubs:[/b]
UKC - Seperated the two "breeds" to recognize their differences quite some time ago.
JRTAA (JRTBA) - American org that was started by breeders and is most concerned with showing. They spent much time working to get the dogs recognized by AKC. The believe firmly that the true JRT fits the standard as set forth by the Parson, hence the Parson Russell Terrier.
AKC - Recognized JRTs in the 1990's and has now revised it to be the PRT at the request of the JRTAA. Again, believing firmly that the true JRT is the parson standard.
JRTCA - American org committed to retaining the working characteristics of the breed. They just seperate the two classes for competition yet all are considered JRT's. This is also the primary registering body for JRT's.

A book I recently read stated that the shorter legged russells were breed in the late 1800's as the countryside was getting crossed with barbed wire. The hunters could no longer use horses and hounds for this reason and need a terrier that could follow the prey everywhere.

Truth is there are many different schools of thought, however anyone who has ever met both a parson and puddin knows the only difference is the length of the legs. They are the same dogs!! Among pet owners the feeling is that the Parson designation is only for AKC showing. For all other purposes we own Jacks!

Did I miss anything? Feel free to ask questions! :lol:

Oh, very interesting! I like the puddin story too. Maybe the small ones should be renamed puddin earning terriers? LOL

Thanks for explaining. I guess it is much like the two Beagle classes in conformation shows? Where there is no actual breed difference, and you can estimate what you will get out of a litter, but its basically a mixed litter and they grow up to be one or the other depending on height?