Dogomania

Misinformed web site alert!!

Pumpkin the musher

tweeeet. Time out! I'm not a 100% gung ho supporter of the Iditarod- I agree with 6jd that it is more about money and hype than racing- allot of the mushers entered do not even own or train the dogs they are racing and have no winter survival skill to speak of. This, I beleive puts more dogs/ mushers at risk than any other factor. Also the monetary expeditures required to run the race are prohibitive to allot of native mushers who probably represent the true history and meaning of mushing more most. Yes, dogs die in the Iditarod, but it is not because of neglect or abuse- any time you bring together that many dogs there are bound to be losses because of physical problems that cannot be forseen. As I said before regarding the myopathy- dogs also die of this defect as SAR dogs, herding, agility and even in active pets. I have been mushing for over 23 years now and have never killed a dog I did'nt want, or lost a dog because of overwork- the same is true for all the people I've become aquianted with over these years, including the musher in the infamous dragging dog photo. I've also met a few mushers whose methods I disagree with- but they quickly become disillusioned because you can't win races with dogs who are not properly cared for, both physically and emotionally. that is all.

Thanks for your intervention, Pumkin. Once again Kiger...PETA does and says things that I do not always agree with and wish they had not done so.I share your thoughts on their current campaign. (invovling the Holcaust) I think what is being done is cruel....but the comparison is simply appalling

I do not;however, think this means that their basic postions on many things are not correct. It is sickening the cruelty and basic lack of compassion for our fellow creatures on this earth that the human heart is capable of.

I don't know about intentionally starving cows...but I DO know this for a fact.

Chicken companys intentionally starve chickens in a process called "forced polting". This is done to force one more cycle of eggs. I do cruelty investigations and have had those who work for the companys call me and ask me to do something because they could not stand it. They are given no food and no water....and at times turn off the fans. Here in Arkansas it is often over 100 degrees.

If I were to rank what most of the cruelty complaints I get are for..they would be:

1. chained dogs...no shelter...no food...no water
2. starving farm animal In one case we have picture of a literal mound of dead cows with a field full of skelatal cows.

I never implied that cruelty doesn't exist, but PETA's way of addressing the issue really makes me ill. I'd be surprised if any of the money they raise actually goes to help animals. Instead, I'm sure it goes to fund their websites, promote militant veganism, and pay for their rediculous ad campaigns.
There are bad people everywhere - people who chain their dogs, sore their horses, people who have to win at any cost. Are we going to ban every sport where an animal "might" get hurt? Cross country is already under fire because sometimes the horses slip or fall. Endurance is cruel because the horse gets tired. Showing dogs is "cruel" because they are "choked and drug around by a noose - FORCED to show!" You see my point? That quote about dog shows is way out there, but I see it made all the time by the AR minions. I think if every effort for the safety and well being of the animal is made, then the PETA people need to shut up, and let the existing welfare laws (that need better enforcement!) take care of the bad guys. Not to mention that some animals actually enjoy the activities I mentioned above.

I consider myself an animal rights person...and most of my friends are also...and I have no problem with any of the activities you mentioned. (and in fact I have showed my dogs for fun)

You are right that at times we can hurt the validity of our issue with unwise statements.

To me, animal rights means the following:

1. the right not to be born if there is no home
2. the right to be defended against intentional cruelty such as torture, dog fighting etc.
3. the right to be givben decent shelter,food and medical care
4. the right to be treated as God's creation that is fully able to feel pain as we are

:P and don't tell anyone...but I am a vegetarian on top of it all...but I have not stolen anyone's hamburger...yet! :wink:

Here is what the ASPCA has to say about the Iditarod:

Thank you for inquiring about the ASPCA's position on dog sledding.

Please know that the ASPCA acknowledges that certain breeds of dogs and
other animals are bred specifically for certain performance activities and
with proper care, nutrition and veterinary support, are often able to enjoy
many of the activities for which they have been bred and trained.

The ASPCA is not against dog sledding per se, as many Nordic breeds that
have been bred, raised and trained for this purpose actually enjoy the
activity. However, as in any sport involving animals, the comfort and well
being of the animal must always be top priority, and the ASPCA does not
believe in pushing any animal athlete beyond reasonable endurance capacity.
[color=red]Dog races that push any animal beyond reasonable comfort levels (i.e.
extremely long races in very harsh weather conditions, pulling excess
weight, etc.) are inhumane. Therefore, the ASPCA cannot consider the
Iditarod to be an acceptable or humane completion.[/color]

I think we are pretty much on the same page, but I see your list as more welfare issues rather then rights. I will refer to the PETA-ites as radical AR from now on. Animals cannot ask for rights, understand said rights or enforce them so who is going to decide what's in their best interest? PETA thinks it should be them of course! I almost left out my favorite radical AR argument for why riding horses is cruel. Apparently I force - there's that word again - my horse to go over jumps and trot around with me on her back. The lack of knowledge about the subjects they are trying to "save" always amazes me - like I could somehow force my horse to jump if she didn't want to. I weigh 115, she is somewhere around 900. I am perched in a precarious position on her back with only some thin leather strips to ask her to stay straight and not do a 180 on me - who would win this fight? I guess if I didn't mind ending up as a pancake on the other side I might be able to pull it off. Anyway, I think this illustrates the fallacy of letting the radical AR folks decide just what rights animals have - since they don't seem to have a lot of contact with them.
And as for PETA, I think this article sums it pretty good:
[url]http://www.canoe.ca/Columnists/platt.html[/url]