Dogomania

help on training our puppy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

i need some advice! we have a 17 week old puppy that we are trying to train. we got her three weeks ago from the humane society and we're not positive what she is... some kind of shepard mix. when i say train, i'm referring to biting and jumping. we've tried so many different techniques and nothing is working. she's almost fully crate trained, which is great, and she sleeps great through the night. but i've got two children (7&4) and one on the way, and it's getting more difficult by the day. i'll take any help i can get! thanks.

Guest Anonymous

Thought I'd give you a little pointers that might help you out on your biting/jumping problem.

Jumping - When she goes to jump on you, stick your knee out(don't kick her, just stick it out to where it knocks her off balance), and say NO. Don't hit her! Usually, after a while, this will stop the jumping. She'll also calm down as she gets older. Give her a lot of excersize, too. Also, when she's out with the kids(if she jumps on them, too), keep a leash on her, and when she starts to jump, give her a little jerk(don't hurt her, just a little jerk), and give a stern NO.

Biting - I don't know if this is just nipping while play, or if you mean it as actually biting. I've had problems with nipping during play before, but if it's actual biting, you need to seek professional help. If it's just nipping while playing, this can be stopped fairly easily. When she nips you, yelp(as a puppy would). This is how puppies would say ouch, that hurts! :) This should get her attention. If this doesn't work, you may try holding her mouth shut(again, don't hurt her, and don't inhibit her breathing).

BTW, a good excersize you can do for a large dominant-type dog when they're puppies, is to roll her over on her back and rub her belly. The dog usually likes it a lot, and she's being submissive to you at the same time.

Hope this helps you out! LMK what happens with you and your dog! :)

Guest Anonymous

[quote]BTW is that you Nikki? our old friend and devils advocate if so I am glad you are back [/quote]
No, I just found you guys a few days ago. :) This is a very interesting board!

AND I agree totally with K. You have to choose one technique and stick with it. If not, she won't understand.

Hope it works out for you!
-Nikki