Dogomania

Dog's Nails Worn Off

corgilady

Hi,

I just discovered that Fella's nails are COMPLETELY worn down. That's the 2 in the middle on both front feet, and the side ones on the back feet. The girl who trims his nails never mentioned it, and I always feel their paids but not the nails.... :oops: anyway, I hadn't noticed. It's probably becauyse we've been walking a lot more than usual. What would you do? Put boots on him? He'd DIE if I walked without him!

Corgilady

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='corgilady']Hi,

I just discovered that Fella's nails are COMPLETELY worn down. That's the 2 in the middle on both front feet, and the side ones on the back feet. The girl who trims his nails never mentioned it, and I always feel their paids but not the nails.... :oops: anyway, I hadn't noticed. It's probably becauyse we've been walking a lot more than usual. What would you do? Put boots on him? He'd DIE if I walked without him!

Corgilady[/quote]I'd only use boots if he was lame, suggessting that they were tender. It could be caused by the way he walks, my Terrier wears two of his hind nails, one on each paw, down by scrabbling along the pavement when we go out :roll:
If your extra walking has been on pavements this could be why or maybe they have naturally been this length for sometime, ask the girl who does his nails we normaly remember little quirks in dogs feet etc. I hope this helps you a bit :)

Guest Anonymous

I have heard that just by walking dogs on cement/asphault, their nails will wear down.
Can you possibly walk him on more grass areas? Maybe a park nearby?
I've heard of caps for the nails.
Does anyone out there know anything about them? :-?
Ruby's nails were just cut again, but they are sharp.
So, the groomer mentioned getting plastic tips for the nails, so they won't scratch so much.
[b]Anybody seen/used/heard of these nail tips for dogs???[/b]
Would they be helpful for Corgilady's Fella?

Guest Anonymous

Thanks-
I'll try walking her more on the cement & asphault. :)
At night, we don't have great lighting, and the cars zip through the apartment parking lot. :o I carry a flashlight, but they come close sometimes. :x
During the day, It is in the 90s, so the pavement is extremely hot & she hops if standing too long in one spot. :( In fact, she will pull for the shade!
I'll try to walk her more as the sun is setting, when the pavement is cooling. 8)

The only nail tips I know about are for cats. You glue them on, the vet's assistant told me they last several months. They are an alternative to declawing, as they keep the cat from damaging things with his nails.

I haven't walked fella again but he ain't happy. :cry: I took them out and tried to show him to walk on the grass but their normal way of walking is one of the others on the grass and Fella marches down the sidewalk. So they thought I was messing up their system. :)

Thanks for your help!!!

Corgilady

Guest Anonymous

I've seen the caps in either my JB Pet Wholesale mag or Drs Foster and Smith...but have never used them.

We use the dremel on our dogs...I guess it's supposed to be less stressful for them...but they freak out no matter what. And K, you are right. It does smell. Kind of like burning hair. Careful with the dremel. It gets the nails hot if they are used too long (if the nails are very long and takes a long time to trim).

We all tried a dremel tool at Toby's obedience class. Toby hated it. They had a sanding disc on it. In my work I use the other bits, like the carbide ones(?) or whatever they're called. Do you guys use ametal one or the sandpaper ones.

ouch! the cat is biting, he says my computer ytime is OVER.