Dogomania

dog showing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='heathe']i am fixing to bring home a rhodesian ridgeback puppy.i am very excited about putting him into the ring do you guys have any advise.[/quote]

yep training classes - no matter which ring you are going into practicing the rules of the game and becoming a good team are important so breed handling classes are of paramount interest for the breed ring and so on with the other places one can compete with a dog

Guest Anonymous

I am thinking about keeping a Yorkie pup from the litter my dog is about to have. I currently have 2 yorkie's and have never got into showing dogs. I am very interested and would like to know if it is worth taking the classes? Is it fun? I am not sure what classes I need to take and which ones I should put my puppy in. I also am not sure at what age I should start the classes. Should I complete the classes before I get the puppy? Thanks, Julie

[quote name='Guest']I am thinking about keeping a Yorkie pup from the litter my dog is about to have. I currently have 2 yorkie's and have never got into showing dogs. I am very interested and would like to know if it is worth taking the classes? Is it fun? I am not sure what classes I need to take and which ones I should put my puppy in. I also am not sure at what age I should start the classes. Should I complete the classes before I get the puppy? Thanks, Julie[/quote]

Hi, what country do you live in?
Roo

Guest Anonymous

In order to know if a litter has any show potentials, you need to keep them for quite sometime with the Yorkie breed. Few breeders know what they have under 12 weeks. Then you wait it out another few months to see if the adult bite is good and a number of other factors.. Pup needs to have ring temperment. A show pup is more then a pretty face so to speak. When looking for a show pup, pedigree is vital. I have seen few Yorkies in the ring without a champion parent or grandparents. My first Yorkie champion was from a non-champion, but most studs who produce champion after champion is that himself. I would contact a show breeder in your area and ask them to evaluate your litter at 12 weeks, again at 16 weeks, and again at 6 months.

Guest Anonymous

Speaknoevil gave you excellent advice. While I am not all that familiar w/the Yorkie breed and the breed standard, I would also like to add that you should also join a local breed club. Some clubs can be somewhat stuffy, but that is so w/any club, and there are usually many people there that are so willing to help a newbie learn about breeding and showing. They will also be brutally honest in letting you know that perhaps you female is or is not of breeding quality and should or should not be bred again as not all dogs are of breeding quality. If your female is not of breeding quality nor the stud, the chances of one of her pups being show quality and close to the standard are slim, but club members can steer you in the direction of a possible show quality pup to take in the ring and possibly breeding quality and it can be a lot of fun and work. The best place to start is with matches while the dog is a pup. Good luck.

• 5 months later...