Dogomania

broken tail and showing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Ok I have a question for those of you in the know. I have a puppy I got from the breeder with a broken tail that had re-set naturally, now the breeder told me about it before I got the dog so I knew before hand. The thing is the dog is show quality and doing well in the ring but I'm scared that a judge will feel his tail and think he was born with a kinked tail instead of one that has been broken and re-set naturally "a little off to the feel but just fine visually" What do I have to do to make sure the judges don't dock points from him? Can I get my vet to sign a paper stating his tail has been broken and reset and not a genetic fault , and will the judges honor that? or can a a tail be re-set " I would hate to put him through a procedure like that" so any one with experience with matters such as this I would love to hear from you! Now I know I said my puppy is showing well but as the competition gets tougher the judges will more than likley pay more attention to things like his tail, I don't want to stress out every time a judge handles his tail hoping he does not feel the break and think it is a natural kinked tail.

Kong, I wish I had a definitive answer for you. What breed is your dog? Do you know if 'great importance' is given to the tail? I know it's part of the overall package of course but perhaps it does not matter that much since the rest of your dog is obviously high quality. I wonder if it would be possible for you to speak personally with a person who judges your breed after judging is over or even not at an actual show, then you could ask for that judges opinion as to how severe he/she feels the little 'variation' is. Heck if the little kink in the tail would not detract from your dogs ability to do whatever they are bred to do, maybe it doesn't matter.
Best of luck to you.

Guest Anonymous

I would think your breed club would be able to help you with these questions. I also agree w/Carol K-9, but depending upon the judges answers, I'd be leery of showing before them, as now that they know, it could disqualify, but I really don't know this to be true.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Kong']Ok I have a question for those of you in the know. I have a puppy I got from the breeder with a broken tail that had re-set naturally, now the breeder told me about it before I got the dog so I knew before hand. The thing is the dog is show quality and doing well in the ring but I'm scared that a judge will feel his tail and think he was born with a kinked tail instead of one that has been broken and re-set naturally "a little off to the feel but just fine visually" What do I have to do to make sure the judges don't dock points from him? Can I get my vet to sign a paper stating his tail has been broken and reset and not a genetic fault , and will the judges honor that? or can a a tail be re-set " I would hate to put him through a procedure like that" so any one with experience with matters such as this I would love to hear from you! Now I know I said my puppy is showing well but as the competition gets tougher the judges will more than likley pay more attention to things like his tail, I don't want to stress out every time a judge handles his tail hoping he does not feel the break and think it is a natural kinked tail.[/quote]

If that is his only serious flaw you should have no worries - is he a coated or slick breed? where does the tail fit in the standard - important or minor and is non-kinking mentioned? has ANY judge mentioned the tail to you?
I would hold off doing anything about it - particularly on worrying when a judge handles it (you are telegraphing your dog's flaw to the judge if you do). And finally do ask yourself if showing the dog is so important to you that you would put your dog through unneeded bone breaking and pain to win a ribbon or a championship point or even a BOB?