Dogomania

Vaccine controversy

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I received this email today about vaccinating your pet and thought you guys would like to read it.

August 1, 2002

TO: OUR CANINE CUSTOMERS
RE: DOGS & VACCINATIONS

For years we have maintained that dogs DO NOT NEED vaccinations for
every disease known to man, rabies being the only exception. That
vaccinations stress, impair and damage the immune system. That
vaccinations
cause all kinds of health problems such as allergies, skin problems,
tumors and
on and on.

In yesterday's Wall Street Journal, there is an interesting article
titled
"Are Annual Shots Overkill?" This article indicates that 'evidence is
building
that annual vaccination of dogs and cats performed for diseases like
rabies,
distemper and parvovirus, may not be necessary and could even be
harmful.
Recent and continuing studies at several universities suggest that
protection
from vaccines may last for years, which would make annual shots for
some
diseases a waste of money--at the very least.'

'Dr. Larry Glickman at Purdue University Vet School and his colleagues
theorize
that repeated vaccination causes dogs to produce antibodies against
their own
tissue.' Thus resulting autoimmune problems.

'In a policy statement last year, the American Veterinary Medical
Association
acknowledged that the practice of annual vaccinations is based on
"historical
precedent" and "not on scientific date".'

How's this quote? "Dr. Ronald Schultz, Chairman of the University of
Wisconsin's
Dept. of Pathobiological Sciences says "My own pets are vaccinated once
or twice
as pups and kittens, then never again except for rabies." This is
from a man
who out to know who has probably seen hundreds and hundreds of
necropsies.

Get this---'Pfizer, Inc. (a huge pharmaceutical company) decided to
test its one-year
rabies vaccine on live animals and discovered it lasted for at least
three years. It sells
the identical formula simply packaged under different labels--one year
and three years
to satisfy different state vaccination requirements.' Bet we would be
thrown in jail if
we pulled this stunt.

We are thrilled that the Wall Street Journal's Rhonda Rundle has awaken
to this deceptive
fact and has chosed to research this article and then actually report
on it.

OUR TAKE ON THIS ARTICLE?

How's this for experimenting on your beloved dog?!!!! Is this
incredible or what?!!
This is disgusting and about time people are waking up!!!! And
bureaucrats
think Mother Nature's herbs are harmful!! What a sin!

What would and do we do? We get a rabies shot every three years like
the law
requires if our dog is out in the public. If not, then no rabies shot
if our dog never
leaves our premises. Granted we are on a farm and it is easier, but
this is
what we do. We never ever get any other type of vaccination for our
dogs, period.

What we do is build the immune system with excellent home cooked foods,
supplement with trace minerals daily, and add good bacteria (ProBac
Adult) three days
a week. If your pet or you yourself have a strong immune system, then
there is
virtually nothing that your body cannot fight off including any and all
kinds of
bacterial and viral infections including the West Nile Virus and Lyme
disease.

There are occasions where a dog is going to need help with a bacteria
problem
or a viral problem or whatever just like people do. For these and all
problems
we use herbs and only natural ingredients from Mother Nature's pantry.

Do these natural products work? If you have good quality remedies and
if you, the
caregiver, are diligent and serious about returning your pet to health.
If you are
serious and responsible, in caring for your dog then, yes, herbs can
and do work
well in restoring a dog's health and maintaining wellness.

For more discussion about maintaining and supporting a dog's health
with herbs, go here:

[url]http://www.petmedicinechest.com/canine/discussions/healthmaintenancetext.asp[/url]

To your dog's health,

Rose
[url]www.caninemedicinechest.com[/url]
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

Wasn't there something about this earlier? Or maybe I saw it somewhere else. Someone told me that cats already have 3 yr rabies vaccines... I had not heard about dogs having a three year. Our last dog was well vaccinated until about two years, and then all we worried about was rabies, and she never was sick from anything. Human children are not vaccinated all thier lives...
This is scary, do you vaccinate or not?

Guest Anonymous

There has been ALOT of controversy over this...People are saying do the boosters but not the annual shots becuase it lowers the tithers in your animals, which are built up from the boosters already.(this is what they are saying) This is for the Parvo, distemper, and etc... My only concern with this is you can take a dog with a high stress level (shelter or sickness) and its immunity level lowers and they tend do be more apt to get sick. I have witnessed older dogs get sick with Parvo and distemper. These dogs need those shots. Or when you bring in rescues it is always good to give your dogs annual shots! Those are the only exceptions I would see!

Know Rabies here is given the first time for 1 year go back in one year and the next shot last for 2 years and then the next shot last for 3 years. At least I think they are still doing the 2 year!! Mine are on the 1 year or the three year!! As of 2 years ago the were doing the 2 year shot!!

Guest Anonymous

There has been a lot of idiotic hooraw over vaccinations (which by the way are killed vaccines not modified live) brought on I suspect by the leaning of the public towards holistic medicines as being different and therefor better than modern medicine.
I've been raising dogs for nearly 30 years now and in all that time I have had exactly ONE dog have a vaccine reaction and that dog had an inherited or congenital defect with her immune system.
IMO anyone with a healthy dog with a normal immune system should have no fear of annual vaccinations given to their dog and that annual exam that goes with the shots is also IMO very important in your dogs health record. Now I also believe breeders should not be breeding dogs with thyroid or allergy problems (both signs of problems in the immune system) and I blame the production of dogs with immune system problems that cannot handle the mild challenge presented by a killed virus vaccine right on the heads of the breeders who are not selecting for healthy breeding animals.
Having seen the results of distemper and parvo I'd a lot rather have my dogs for sure protected than waiting to see how long the vaccines really worked in their individual systems and discovering the answer by losing a dog to those diseases.
Now I do think people should be cautious about WHICH vaccines are used on their dogs to ensure efficacy and quality. I highly recommend the Progard 5 shot which covers the most deadly diseases likely to infect a dog in my area.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']There has been a lot of idiotic hooraw over vaccinations (which by the way are killed vaccines not modified live) brought on I suspect by the leaning of the public towards holistic medicines as being different and therefor better than modern medicine.
I've been raising dogs for nearly 30 years now and in all that time I have had exactly ONE dog have a vaccine reaction and that dog had an inherited or congenital defect with her immune system.
IMO anyone with a healthy dog with a normal immune system should have no fear of annual vaccinations given to their dog and that annual exam that goes with the shots is also IMO very important in your dogs health record. Now I also believe breeders should not be breeding dogs with thyroid or allergy problems (both signs of problems in the immune system) and I blame the production of dogs with immune system problems that cannot handle the mild challenge presented by a killed virus vaccine right on the heads of the breeders who are not selecting for healthy breeding animals.
Having seen the results of distemper and parvo I'd a lot rather have my dogs for sure protected than waiting to see how long the vaccines really worked in their individual systems and discovering the answer by losing a dog to those diseases.
Now I do think people should be cautious about WHICH vaccines are used on their dogs to ensure efficacy and quality. I highly recommend the Progard 5 shot which covers the most deadly diseases likely to infect a dog in my area.[/quote]

I also agree that breeders should not be breeding dogs with thyroid and immune problems. I am wondering if they will not spread the vaccines out to 2 years. I have also seen the results of both parvo and distemper and would rather protect my animals. Along with making sure to get a good quality shot the shot also needs to remain chilled and not get warm. :wink:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Jacsmom']I also agree that breeders should not be breeding dogs with thyroid and immune problems. I am wondering if they will not spread the vaccines out to 2 years. I have also seen the results of both parvo and distemper and would rather protect my animals. Along with making sure to get a good quality shot the shot also needs to remain chilled and not get warm. :wink:[/quote]

And of course if you have a dog with a known immune system problem then of course you should be consulting with your vet about the best and safest methods for your dog.
I just don't trust the less than scientific claims being pushed out there and I would hate to see anyone lose a pet to distemper and or parvo when it didn't need to happen. If anyone wants some sad reading go read the Terhune collie books until you find the one detailing the distemper epidemic that killed off almost the entire Sunnybank Kennel with nothing anyone could do for the dogs.