Dogomania

He wrote anothet article...

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

[email][email protected][/email]

I sent this to him today.

Mr. MacDonald:

I have read your articles on the 3 American Pitbull Terriers that caused dreadful consequences to different people including the child as mentioned today. Of course I feel absolutely terrible that these things have happened and they should never of taken place.

As you have noted many have written you expressing the very fact that people acquire these dogs without any prior research about the breed and what is involved to raise them properly. These dogs are not a regular type of canine. They require training from about the age of six weeks and must be socialized with children, teenagers and adults of all sizes and shapes and nationalities. Plus proper socialization with all kinds of other dogs. Mind you dogs are more honest then people, they will tell you whether they like you or not. Pitbulls/AmStaff dogs should always be on a leash, preferably a short leash so as to be in control.

I am not trying to say you are not knowledgeable about this breed, but you give no information as how to properly raised an American Pitbull Terrier. Something you have neglected to mention, so you can educate people, are common sense things to do and not to do with dogs you know and don’t know. People should never just walk up to or run up to any dog because that could excite the dog. They should ask at a distance if they can touch the dog first. You should have also said in your article that Pitbulls are not a good first dog to have. Some of your comments remind me of first thoughts as they would say in cognitive behavioral therapy. Il-rational thoughts like banning the breed. Would you do that for human beings who do the same damage? Haul them off to The Human Society to be put down?

You obviously have never known or owned such dogs and are very unfamiliar with a well breed and well-trained Pit. Do you honestly think people who own American Pitbull Terrier and American Staffashire SHOW DOGS are going to allow their dogs to be banned or eradicated?

Perhaps you should seek out some people who own some of the trained dogs and find out personally the difference between a good dog and a bad one. They are probably the funniest dogs you will ever see.

The poor young boy who was hurt is unfortunate. He was obviously not under adult supervision at the time. If the dog really attacked the boy the damage would have been worse and I am not trying to down play what happened. Sounds like the little boy was unsupervised and reached for the dog’s toy on the floor. People should know to supervise and have already taught their dog from six weeks on that it is okay for a human being to touch their food, toys or what ever. That is why I said earlier that proper training is necessary especially with this breed. Every training guide tells to do this with any dog breed from the time they are puppies to prevent problems later when they are adults. That is the whole premise about human parenting isn’t it? To teach our children while they are young so when they grow up they don’t do certain things to others. Large breed dogs are powerful creatures that should not be taught the power they have while puppies, so that as adult dogs they never know what they can actually do.

There have been 3 attacks as you call them, which you have written about. I leave you with this questions: How many PitBull/AmStaff Dogs are there estimated to be here in Ontario in comparison to the amount of attacks on human life? I am sure it is minimal indeed. Not to take away from the pain of these people at all. Statistically how many of these dogs are there here compared to attacks this year? The way you come across is being somewhat prejudice towards certain breeds of dogs. Somewhat discriminatory towards certain breeds. That’s like saying a certain breed of people tend to commit crime so it’s them that must be punished. Sorry to equate dogs with human quality, but I am an owner of two lovely American Pitbull Terrier puppies 4 months old being brought up to respect human beings because I have done the research about them. I would like this to be put in your paper in its entirety as a fair response to your article.

Respectfully.

H.Magee
Oakville, Ontario

P.S. I agree any dog that is a danger to human life should be put down.