Dogomania

What sort of breed should I get?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've never owned a dog before (I'm 15), but my parents have finally permitted me to get a dog of my own. I have to pay for the puppy myself (I do have a job) so I don't want something that is particularly expensive. I also want something that is relatively easy to find. We live in a pretty big house with a medium sized yard, but no fence. I live in the suburbs, in a housing developement with little traffic. I can get any kind of dog I want, my parents have no objection to size or shedding issues. I live in Maine, USA, so the dog must either be coldresistant or able to live mostly indoors or in a doghouse.

I want a dog that will be loyal and devoted to me in particular (since I'll be raising it) and will at least be affectionate to the family (just my older sister, me and my parents). I'm willing to put a lot of time into the dog's obedience and exercise it as much as it needs. I'm leaning towards a larger dog because I want a warm friendly companion to snuggle up with at night. Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Dalmations are great dogs! if you want a cheap dog i suggest going to the pound and get a pound puppy. they almost always have mixed pups that will be big dogs when they get older. You will get a cheap dog, get a friend and companion forever, and save a life. Remember big dogs are usualy the last to be adopted at pounds!

Guest Anonymous

I would have to recomend going to the shelter also. You said you have job, but most pure breeds are over $300 or more depending on pet/show/breeding quality. Also, obedient classes offer dicounts on people that adopt from shelters.
Good luck in your search. 8) 8) :lol: :lol:

Guest Anonymous

At the shelter here i think dogs are about 60 dollars including shots and all (i think spaying and neutering im not sure) and they will love you for life. there are purebreds at the pound, but mutts are just as good!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='very_pink86']I'm going for either medium, large, or very big. I don't really want a small dog.[/quote]

I say then don't worry about breed look for temperament.
[url]www.petfinder.org[/url] could be a good starting place
I've seen some nice dogs needing homes in uncle henrys too
[url]www.unclehenrys.com[/url]
Of course mostly what advertises there are the many ME puppy mills but sometimes people advertise looking for a good home for a pet they cannot keep.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

yes go to your local shelter or soemthing and pick out a lonely pup who needs a good home!!!
most mixed breeds can be big or you may even be surprised and see mistreated and abused purebred dogs there evenQ :P