Dogomania

Electric Fence

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello All:

I have a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier and a 4 month old Mastiff/Rottweiller cross. We are having electric fence installed next week and I am interested in getting suggestions on training them to this and also whether the puppy is old enough for this fence. Am also not thrilled with the idea of having my dogs shocked, and wonder what the general consensus is. Of course I ould rather have them shocked then dead, from the busy road in front of my home. The Jack is an escape artist and a regular fence will not work. Will this?

Guest Anonymous

Our next door neightbor has a wonderful black lab (Maggie) who is contained by her invisible fense, usually. However, it is not entirely uncommon for my husband to open the back door to let our Katie out ( 50 ft airline cable that reaches the door) and Maggie charges past looking for Katie's bowl -- a sure sign the underground fence is under attack by moles again. This has happened several times, and each time the way it was discovered was when Maggie came to play. I don't know how you check for this other than the dog getting free, but it does seem to be an issue based on our experience.

Guest Anonymous

when we got ours our dogs were too old so it didnt work (they just got a good run down the hill and got a little shock.) but our neighbors got theirs when their dogs were puppies and it works great!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='horsesanddogs']Hello All:

I have a 2 year old Jack Russell Terrier and a 4 month old Mastiff/Rottweiller cross. We are having electric fence installed next week and I am interested in getting suggestions on training them to this and also whether the puppy is old enough for this fence. Am also not thrilled with the idea of having my dogs shocked, and wonder what the general consensus is. Of course I ould rather have them shocked then dead, from the busy road in front of my home. The Jack is an escape artist and a regular fence will not work. Will this?[/quote]
I would suggest you add a regular fence to the electric one as both the Jack Russel and the Rottie type are perfectly capable of taking the shock and charging through the pain to get at what they want - its part of a terriers nature to take pain and keep on going towards their goal. Guard dogs often can do the same - and *then* the dogs can't get back because of the shock line!
With a dual barrier the dogs should be safely contained.
I would not trust the electric fence for even a second if you are near a busy road.