Dogomania

Coughing and eye discharge

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

:cry: Hi, I just adopted a dog from the local Animal Control. She was estimated at approx. 12 - 18 months and is part Beagle, part Basset. After getting her home she started coughing deep coughs, with the fear of Heartworms she was checked by my Vet. She is heartworm negative but was on antibiotics for 5 days for Kennel Cough. On the last day of her medicine her eyes started getting red and swelling. After 2 days of Benedryl as per my vets suggestion the lower membrane of her eyes are still swollen and slightly red. Are Beagles or Basset Hounds predisposed to any medical conditions, allergies, etc... that could cause such a reaction? Now off her medicine for Kennel Cough she is having deep hard coughs like she is trying to clear her throat. Occasionally she coughs up white, foamy stuff which I consider something like phlem. I do not have a lot of money right now since I just paid for College. Could you please please let me know if anyone has gone through the same thing or know what this might be??? :cry:

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='phishyface']:cry: Hi, I just adopted a dog from the local Animal Control. She was estimated at approx. 12 - 18 months and is part Beagle, part Basset. After getting her home she started coughing deep coughs, with the fear of Heartworms she was checked by my Vet. She is heartworm negative but was on antibiotics for 5 days for Kennel Cough. On the last day of her medicine her eyes started getting red and swelling. After 2 days of Benedryl as per my vets suggestion the lower membrane of her eyes are still swollen and slightly red. Are Beagles or Basset Hounds predisposed to any medical conditions, allergies, etc... that could cause such a reaction? Now off her medicine for Kennel Cough she is having deep hard coughs like she is trying to clear her throat. Occasionally she coughs up white, foamy stuff which I consider something like phlem. I do not have a lot of money right now since I just paid for College. Could you please please let me know if anyone has gone through the same thing or know what this might be??? :cry:[/quote]
Look up Cherry Eye on the net.
Kennel cough can go into pneumonia but also parasite infection can cause this kind of coughing as the larvae pass through the lungs on their way to the intestinal tract to mature to egg laying adults.
Talk to your vet about a complete check up and diagnosis of any problems such as allergies and ask about payment plans.
Dogs are not cheap to own and one must plan on more than food and shelter when one adopts or purchases a pet.

Guest Anonymous

She will probably need to go back on antibiotics, as sometimes kennel cough can last for 5 - 6 wks. You vet should also do a chest xray and check her eyes. Good luck.

personally....I had this same problem bout two weeks ago...

She had eye discharge (allways has that) and she coughed every once and a while...and then she would sneeze ALOT and do this thing like she has hickups and something else...I called the vet and I gave them the sytoms and they said just watch and see what happens....well I watch and she stopped doing all of the above unless she was home.

I took her to my dog park (late at night) to see if a fellow dog lover was there and see if he had any ideas....

He asked me have you changed your air vent cleaning thing....and I was like i dunno....went home and it was horrible...icky!

So we went and bought a new one and put it in...we are going to change it every month on the first! So Gizmos problem was Allergies....thankgod!