Dogomania

White Lab ? Please help ................

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello everone,

I have just visited my breeder 10 days ago,and have fallen in love with a "white" female lab....The excitement in my house is at a all time high.We have bragged to anyone who will listen.Now we are getting comments about "white" meaning inbred and major physical problems in the future.
This is our first Lab,so we know nothing
about the breed other than friends that have them and what we have seen around them.I really want a house and hunting buddy,and am looking forward to that "LAB-LEAN" when I sit in my chair..
Does anyone have one? Know of someone that does?I have read two books in the last week and been on "justlabradors.com" and have seen
only one mention of "white".???????????????
Keep in mind my family now has pictures and a album started and named her Gracie-Lou,
and she is only 11 days old.I too am in love with her,but would really like more info before I break my wife's and son's hearts.
You guessed it,this will be my wifes first
"girl".
Thank you in advance,
Kris Schneider
Johnston,Iowa.
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

Kris,
Please do not be fooled by the "rare" colors some breeders propose that they have. The "rare" colors are used only as a money making scam.

Only being 11 days old, she may just be a very light yellow (looks white) and may darken up. The "washed out" yellow color could be a result from breeding yellow - yellow, or recessive to recessive. I have seen pale yellow (that some people would call white) to a dead wheat color. Then again, the white could come from the white dog down the road! :o

Is this a reputable breeders? Have you seen past litters? Are the parents OFA'd? If they are not, look somewhere else for a pup from OFA'd parents. Are they registered with AKC? I would stay totally away from dogs that are registered with CKC (Continential Kennel Club) --- they are in it for the money and will register a Poodle as a Bulldog if the registration papers says it. Why do they breed their dogs? Do they show, hunt, or what do they use their dogs for? How many litters do they have a year? How many breeding dogs do they have?

Does this breeder have any other dogs? Could any other breed of dog bred the female (she can have puppies with different fathers)?

If you are just wanting a companion/hunting dog, and have no intentions on breeding (and WILL spay her), then why would color matter? Oh! Yep, I just opened up a can of worms.

You DO however, want to know the genetic makeup of the this pup. You do want to know of any diseases, genetic faults etc......

Just curious, are these breeders asking for more money because the pup is white?

Guest Anonymous

Wow!

Thanks for the fast replies!I guess I tend to ramble on a little and fogot to mention a couple of things....
The breeder is not asking anymore money for the whites that he is for the blacks,or the yellows.He did not say "I have white,black,etc",It was not till we showed up to look at them that we found one male and one female that
are white..He has yellows as well and the whites do seem like they have blonde on the tips of their ears...
I do know the mothers owner and have mutual friends that know the fathers owner.They are both AKC & OFA,but I think this is both their 1st
litter.I know the mother is black and she is a beauty! The father I have not seen yet,but my best friend (who is a duck hunting fool) lives close to the father and has hunted with it and the owner.He told me I would be a idiot
if I did not get one of these pups....I have just never seen one this white.
Regards,
Kris

Guest Anonymous

I have a 6 month old Yellow Lab...The funny thing about my Yellow lab is he is a light yellow almost white and in fact was white when he was a pup(up until he was about 4 months). AKC registers Labs under 3 colors Yellow, Black, and Chocolate. Your baby will be registered under Yellow. My guess is when she matures and ages you will see adult hair come in that is yellow or a darker shade than the white. These pups are not rare because most breeders classify them as yellow but a few will say Ultra lights or Rare white but all in all they are just Yellow Labs. Main places this darker hair will show will be ears, tail, and down her back.. You will get a great deal of enjoyment out of this baby and if the OFA is there and good, the puppy is in good health, has good temperment, breeder stands behind pups health, and your ready to never wear dark clothes again with out Labbie hair on them Go For It.... :D :D

Mei Mei no not to worry just a plain ole Yellow Lab...Just in a summer outfit!!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

:oops:
jacsmom,
I feel embarassed by your last sentence.Please do not think for a minute
that I was trying to be rude or disrespectful to anyone........................
If it came out that way I am truly sorry,Its just that I suck at typing.......
You have all put my mind to rest and for that I am greatful !
Keep the comments coming.
Thanks Again!
Kris

Guest Anonymous

Kris

Sorry you were not rude by any means... that is just under all my posts.. :wink: Kind of a reminder for everyone to play nice.... Which you were and had good questions I might add.. I hope your questions were answered and did you notice the pic of my 'white' lab under my name on the left.. :D I have more of when he was a pup (a white snowball was what he looked like).. Sorry about the signature thing..You were not rude or anything.. :wink: :D Are you going to get your baby girl? If you would like I will give you some sites of reputable breeders with pics of yellow "white" labs so you can see them. :D

I will take the signature off this time!!! :wink:

Good luck with whatever you decide. Sounds like she is a nice pup. BTW, you are not very far from me, about 1 hour. I live between Ft. Dodge and Carroll. If you want, I know of 2 reputable lab breeders near Ft Dodge and several in Mn that have nice hunting dogs (trial and field dogs).

Guest Anonymous

Growing up my family was never without a yellow lab. Of the last one we had, he came from a litter that had two "white" pups in it, though he was a yellow. And as far as duck hunting went, at the age of 8 my dad too "Buck" out for a hunt, and Buck who had never hunted in his life nor been trained to it took to hunting like a duck to water.... couldn't resist. I love the lab breed, they are a great family dog that's easy to work with and great with children. Just don't forget to socialize, I met a set a very poorly socialized labs this weekend and was shocked at how they reacted to people that weren't thier own. I think these were the first mean labs I have ever met! :(

Guest Anonymous

:D Hello Everyone,
As far as the responses I recieved yesterday,they really did put my mind to rest.I loved to see the picture from "jacsmom" of the male white!
What a good looking dog he is.We took pictures when
"Gracie Lou " was 4 days old,and my wife has a photo album started already..So I assume we are getting Gracie,no ifs,ands,or buts about it.
Yes she does tell me what color of pants to wear. hahahah
We moved to our current home 3 years ago,and my son became friends
with a girl behind us and thats when we met "Sam" .she's a yello lab and
and what a girl she is! I would steal her if I could!
(But thanks for all the offers for breeders!)
Why the white one? I know I'm not the only one to "fall into love at first sight".We got our first dog (spike) 14 years ago and had to put him down 2 or so weeks ago and we said we would never get another! Yeah right!
Spike was the runt Border Collie mix out of 14 puppies. $25 dollars for a "cockapoo" the add said ! He fit in the palm of my wife's hand and slept on her shoulder on the way home.Well I thought a human could never love a animal that much,but I sure did.He ate when we ate,watched tv with us ,etc...He even gave me hugs a nite when I sat on the couch.Smart as a whip !
That's another topic ,but it feels good to talk about it.If you know what I mean...
Anyway,I went ot the animal rescue leauge one day at lunch ,then called my wife at work to tell her the house was too"empty" and I could not take it anymore.We looked and looked and could not find "the one".So my best friend calls me the next day and tells me a mutual friend just had a litter of 13 lab's.It must have been fate!
I wish I had a digital camera because we are going back this weekend to visit Gracie,I'm sure her eyes are open now and shes moving around.....

Thank you one and all !
Kris

Guest Anonymous

My friend used to have a white lab named Peanut. He was the sweetest thing.. but what lab isnt! Then another friend of mine has a "red" lab. Has anybody else ever heard of a red lab?