Dogomania

Norwegian Lundehund

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone- just looking for a bit of info on breed health. In my dog magzine's list of breeds I noticed a dog breed named the 'Norwegian Lundehund' which had a note next to it stating; 'Fatal flaw in breed- unlikely to continue'. I was curious and looked up the breed on the web, but have found no mention of impending extinction, only lots of photos of cute looking little dogs! Can anyone tell me what is so wrong with the breed, and what its current status is?
Thanks!
Louis

Guest Anonymous

Thankyou- I had an impression from the net it was something along those lines. Do you know if they are really as doomed as my mag says? I can find breeders on the web- so how can they be?! :-?
Wierd its true- but I think they'e kinda cute....

Guest Anonymous

Oh thats to bad! :( I have done some research on the breed. They are beautiful! I never came across anything like that.. thats sad!

Guest Anonymous

Wait wait wait! Now I'm confused. Is the Norwegin Jamthund the same thing as the Norwegin Lundehund? Are there just two diffrent names? If not then I am thinking of the wrong breed... ssooorryy! :oops:

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.the-kennel-club.org.uk/discoverdogs/hound/norlundhtm.htm[/url]
Hi
There's a piccie here so you can see if they're the same guys- I haven't heard of the other breed you are thinking of! Not that that matters as I am no expert. Please let me know if its the same- I am intrigued!
:)

Guest Anonymous

OH MY GOSH!! This is so cool. :D This is a diffrent breed that I have researched. Isn't this the breed with the double joints. I pretty sure it is. My friend has been on the waiting list for over 5 years to get one of these. They are cute though. One of my dog books shows how it can lay on the ground with all fours streched all the way out.. weird huh?!

Guest Anonymous

Yep I'm looking in my dog book as I speak it does have the double joints. If you need me to type up some info on the breed I can.It is also called the Puffin Dog. They can tilt their heads all the way back to their shoulders.

Guest Anonymous

Also you can go to the gallery here and they have about 5 or 6 pics of them. Also on my dog book they have a huge pic of them.. sorry din't mean to jump on the soap box.

Guest Anonymous

It's cool- soapbox away! :)
I guess if your friend has been on a waiting list for 5 years this could be a pretty rare dog? I hope they don't die out as predicted in my magazine- of all the breeds this was the only one to have such a sad note beside it.
:(

Guest Anonymous

Wow! there cute! I've never seen one before. Beagle, if your friend ever gets one they should breed it. I might like to have one. They are sorta chihuahuaish

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Louis']Hi everyone- just looking for a bit of info on breed health. In my dog magzine's list of breeds I noticed a dog breed named the 'Norwegian Lundehund' which had a note next to it stating; 'Fatal flaw in breed- unlikely to continue'. I was curious and looked up the breed on the web, but have found no mention of impending extinction, only lots of photos of cute looking little dogs! Can anyone tell me what is so wrong with the breed, and what its current status is?
Thanks!
Louis[/quote]

I believe the breed has a widespread genetic disorder having to do with protein absorption - when you have a breed that has a low population number to start with its awfully easy to get into a deadly recessive becoming widespread. Add in the other odd genetic differences and I think the potential for problems goes up.
here is a cool page you might like
[url]http://members.aol.com/puffindog/lundehund.html[/url]