Dogomania

another question about my new puppy... Ticks???

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I noticed a tick between his toes last night. Then this morning I saw two more. One was crawling so I was able to get him. I remember when I was little my mom using a match to get ticks out.

What should I do to remove the current ticks? I realize I need a tick treatment. What is safe for an 8 week old puppy? He weighs about 15 or more pounds I guess.

By the way, this is the same puppy that was coughing.

Guest Anonymous

I thought I shouldn't pick them off with tweezers b/c their bodies get stuck in the skin. I used a match on one this morning and seemed to get the whole body out. I haven't been able to get the one between his toes yet.
:(

I doubt he'll hold still...but you can rub mineral oil on the tick until it comes off, (he suffocates and backs out) or you can hold rubbing alcohol on the tick with a cotton ball, and every once in a while, put your thumbnail above the tick and pull straight back, if you pull a tick sraight back, not up or twist it or to the side, I have found the head always comes out. Or you can skip the alcohol and just use tweezers (I use hemostats as you can make them grip tightly and they do not slip off the tick) many products are safe for pups that are eight weeks of age, some do not reccomend until twelve weeks, though. just read the bottle. BTW...your vet can probably sell you frontline flea spray, which is safe for most pets, unlike most of the flea sprays you'd buy from a home-suppy store.

Guest Anonymous

I know this is off subject but once when I was helping out our local humane society these two GSD pups came in with proubly more than 500 ticks on them each. They also had worms and who knows what else. I stayed there for about three hours just picking off ticks and I still did not get them all off. They found the pups in an open field in the middle of nowhere. Someone proubly dumped them off. :cry: Then in the next week they both got adopted to diffrent homes! :D

Guest Anonymous

Well I wore some gloves and then I grabbed their bodies twisted and then pulled them out. Someone will proubly say that the head might get stuck in there but not if you pull them off correctly. Also you will hear a little pop. You can even look and see that there heads are still on.

Oh yeah first I sprayed them really good with flea/tick spray.

Guest Anonymous

I would only pull them out with tweezers...straight out...no twist. And I always keep a supply of pyrethrins dip or spray on hand. It will kill ticks and fleas and other exterior parasites. You can spray some on the tick first...and even b4 it kills it...starts working and makes it easier for removal if you don't want to wait.

And beagle...that story was gross...did anyone get the rest of the ticks off...I would have poured pyrethrins on every square inch of their bodies.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']I noticed a tick between his toes last night. Then this morning I saw two more. One was crawling so I was able to get him. I remember when I was little my mom using a match to get ticks out.

What should I do to remove the current ticks? I realize I need a tick treatment. What is safe for an 8 week old puppy? He weighs about 15 or more pounds I guess.

By the way, this is the same puppy that was coughing.[/quote]
As ticks carry disease you want them off the dog and not on you either!
I suggest its another quesition for the vet - I believe there are products safe for pups this old but the vet will know for sure.
You also want to spray his sleeping areas - as the ticks may well have left eggs to hatch there <shudder> and a houseful of them is not what you want!

Guest Anonymous

Yeah I was about ready to puke my fourth hour into the job. So someone else got the rest off. Then we gave them all their shots and dewormed them .

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='beagle88']Yeah I was about ready to puke my fourth hour into the job. So someone else got the rest off. Then we gave them all their shots and dewormed them .[/quote]

probably needed to watch the dogs in question for erlichia I wonder if anyone knew that?
Some of the mill dogs coming out of MO to rescues have been so covered with ticks you could not tell what color they were :-( The amazing thing to me is that the dogs were still alive!

Guest Anonymous

I know. They were telling me about it and they said you could not even see the dogs face. I did not belive it could be that bad untill I walked in. The poor pups were covered. It was just like a blanket of ticks.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='beagle88']Yeah I was about ready to puke my fourth hour into the job. So someone else got the rest off. Then we gave them all their shots and dewormed them .[/quote]

probably needed to watch the dogs in question for erlichia I wonder if anyone knew that?
Some of the mill dogs coming out of MO to rescues have been so covered with ticks you could not tell what color they were :-( The amazing thing to me is that the dogs were still alive![/quote]

Well he only had 3 ticks so far.

Guest: What is erlichia? and what are the symptons.

Guest Anonymous

We used to use vasaline and slather the nasty little things... they would suffocate and drop off. I have no idea how long this takes but it's not more then a couple of days. We would see them on our outdoor cats and the only way I knew they were gone was to check when the cat came in for the night... but they didn't always come home for the same night...

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser'][quote name='Anonymous'][quote name='beagle88']Yeah I was about ready to puke my fourth hour into the job. So someone else got the rest off. Then we gave them all their shots and dewormed them .[/quote]

Some of the mill dogs coming out of MO to rescues have been so covered with ticks you could not tell what color they were :-( The amazing thing to me is that the dogs were still alive![/quote]

Well he only had 3 ticks so far.

Guest: What is erlichia? and what are the symptons.[/quote]

Abusser:
Erlichiosis

A tiny organism called Erlichia, which lives in the saliva of Brown Dog Ticks, causes this disease in dogs and cats. The organism spreads through the blood of a tick’s host, and it can begin to inflame and damage the animal’s internal organs. If the disease becomes very advanced, it can damage an animal’s bone marrow, causing anemia and suppressing the immune system.

The symptoms of Erlichiosis vary, as the effects of the disease can range from very severe to very mild. Some animals will simply be lethargic; others may develop fevers, infections, nosebleeds, enlarged lymph nodes, difficulty walking, and more. Veterinarians can use various blood, urine, and other tests to detect the present of Erlichia in an animal’s body. Pets can generally recover well from Erlichiosis. They may be treated with antibiotics, fluids, steroids, and even blood transfusions.

There is no vaccine for Erlichiosis, but you can protect your pets by guarding them against ticks. If your cat or dog goes outside in an area that has ticks, protect him with some kind of a tick repellent. There are a number of options; you can ask your veterinarian which is best for your pet.

A good website for infectious diseases (and where I got the above information) is located at: [url]http://www.healthypet.com/Library/Pet_Planet_1.html[/url]