Dogomania

8 week old puppy coughing

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got a puppy a few days ago and as soon as I got home he started coughing. It seems like something is stuck in his throat, but patted his back does not help :cry:

He is a mixed breed (Great Dane/ridgeback/Alsatian mix). I visited him several times at the breeders and didn't notice any of the puppies coughing. They had free range of the yard and were not caged... so i don't think it is kennel cough.
He mainly coughs when I hold him especially on his back (cradling)

Any ideas?

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']I just got a puppy a few days ago and as soon as I got home he started coughing. It seems like something is stuck in his throat, but patted his back does not help :cry:

He is a mixed breed (Great Dane/ridgeback/Alsatian mix). I visited him several times at the breeders and didn't notice any of the puppies coughing. They had free range of the yard and were not caged... so i don't think it is kennel cough.
He mainly coughs when I hold him especially on his back (cradling)

Any ideas?[/quote]

I would suspect kennel cough or worms - your veterinarian should be able to help you out with this.
If lots of people visited the breeders and played with the pups or even if other dogs were in the general area KC is a good possibility but if the breeder did not worm him thats another likely problem.

Guest Anonymous

you usualy have to take a puppy to the vet at 8 weeks. Our 8wk. old is due her shots soon. ask your vet if the breeders havent already taken him. my puppy was coughing last night and now its gone. maybe its just an 8 week old birthday thing :wink:

Guest Anonymous

thanks for the advice. I never would have thought of worms causing coughing. He has had his first set of shots and was dewormed then. He is due for his 2nd set. Last night I didn't notice him coughing.

Thanks.

Guest Anonymous

well my dog's stool is very runny too. He was given his first set of shots and dewormed once about 2 weeks ago. Which seems earlier then what everyone else is saying b/c he is just 8 weeks now so he got his first set of shots at 6 weeks and was still nursing.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']Anyone had any experience of worming your dogs giving them the runs for a day??[/quote]

Hmm ask what kind of wormer was used. I've not had that problem using stuff like Evict or Nemex (the same active ingredient in both) but have heard of it using harsher wormers.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='K']The worming tablets I used were Mansonil (given to me by the vet)for
preventative worming every three months...two Staffs got runny poo for a day...Saint (on a larger doseage) was fine...not a clue what happened there but all back to normal now[/quote]

Well its definitely a different chemical than the pyrantel pamoate I use and when I looked it up on the net Masonil came up as a sheep drench and something used on ducks!

Guest Anonymous

First, congratulations on your new pup. I would be very leary of what you called "breeders" if this mix was purposely bred. Kennel cough is an airborne disease, so any dog that is exposed to other dogs (especially those who have not been innoculated against kennel cough) has the potential for getting it. Worms are also a possibility. Take him to your vet immediately. Do you have documented records from this "so called breeder's" vet of this pups innoculation/worming?

Guest Anonymous

By the way, he is no longer coughing. I am taking him to the same vet that the previous owners did so I have records of what has been done. He was dewormed, but as I understand it he is suppose to be dewormed again when he goes for his next set of shots.

Thanks,

Guest Anonymous

By the way he ended up having hook worms and the vet gave me Pancura to give him. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm not sure how he got them, since there aren't any other dogs around. He must have had them when I got him, which was about 3 weeks ago. He was supposedly dewormed when I got him and just due for his second set of shots.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']By the way he ended up having hook worms and the vet gave me Pancura to give him. Anyone know anything about this?

I'm not sure how he got them, since there aren't any other dogs around. He must have had them when I got him, which was about 3 weeks ago. He was supposedly dewormed when I got him and just due for his second set of shots.[/quote]
hookworm eggs are in the soil and pups pick up worms like magnets pick up iron filings :-)
what happens is as the pups mature they become more immune to the parasites so are less likely to get them
make sure you pick up all the old poop from your pup and maybe bleach the area that you pick up with 1 part bleach 10 parts water to help kill off any eggs left in the area (its hard to kill them in the soil though)
the life cycles of the worms means you have to worm pups usually 2-3 times to get rid of them all as the poison only kills one stage in the cycle so to wipe them all out you have to repeat doses at specific intervals
panacur is a common broad spectrum dewormer that works pretty well

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. It's pretty bad b/c his diarihea is red and has very strange consistency. I guess bloody. The vet said it is his intestinel wall... i think??? Does that sound right? This just started happending last weekend. I had to take him out about every hour last night. I'm lucky he is well enough to let me know to take him out side.

Thanks for letting me know about the bleach. I have been just rinsing it into the soil.

Poor baby!

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']Thanks for the info. It's pretty bad b/c his diarihea is red and has very strange consistency. I guess bloody. The vet said it is his intestinel wall... i think??? Does that sound right? This just started happending last weekend. I had to take him out about every hour last night. I'm lucky he is well enough to let me know to take him out side.

Thanks for letting me know about the bleach. I have been just rinsing it into the soil.

Poor baby![/quote]

Yes the intestinal wall can 'slough' with some infections but that is more likely with something like coccidia (a protozoan parasite as opposed to a worm parasite) or with a disease like parvo or corona virus - if this keeps up beyond the medication days or if he seems sicker call or get back to the vet ASAP. Could be though if you have administered the med that you will be seeing partially digested poisoned worms which makes for an odd stool :o <ICK> :wink: or mucous from the intestinal tract trying to heal itself once the worms have been detached by the poison.
Sorry this was probably more graphic than some needed to know :roll:

Guest Anonymous

Thanks for the info. The vet did test for Parvo. He seems to be acting better. Last night he went the whole night without going diarehea and it looks light brown now instead of dark and red. It is still a strange consistency, but hopefully it's the worms being passed.

I am still watching him closely though.

Guest Anonymous

Yes, he is still playing and doesn't seem to act sick, but who knows puppies have so much energy. He still has enough energy to jump around and bite.

I just called the vet and they didn't think they did a parvo test. They want me to bring the dog back in. Maybe I need to go to another vet. I was trying to go the the Jamaica Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals Ltd vet to give them $$$.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='abusser']Yes, he is still playing and doesn't seem to act sick, but who knows puppies have so much energy. He still has enough energy to jump around and bite.

I just called the vet and they didn't think they did a parvo test. They want me to bring the dog back in. Maybe I need to go to another vet. I was trying to go the the Jamaica Society For The Prevention Of Cruelty To Animals Ltd vet to give them $$$.[/quote]

well it sounds like its the worms plus the medicine and the whole thing is clearing up
hopefully your pup is on schedule for the parvo shots and is not catching that
believe me a really sick pup such as one with parvo is pretty obvious - you worry when they won't play and seem listless and depressed!