Dogomania

smooth chow, black norwegian elkhound

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Does anyone no anything about these breeds. i love them and have seen pics and a few of them up in close. please help me to find out more.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='puppies411']Does anyone no anything about these breeds. i love them and have seen pics and a few of them up in close. please help me to find out more.[/quote]

I don't think black is a correct color for the Norwegian Elkhound and smooth is not a correct coat for the chows so finding good dogs from good breeders would be very hard.
The two breeds have VERY different temperaments - loving the looks of a breed and loving the breed itself are very different things. Both are pretty different from the GSD too in temperament - though perhaps not in shedding ability :D
Start at [url]www.akc.org[/url] and look up the breeds and find the breed club pages on them for starting points in what the breed was designed for and what it is like.

Guest Anonymous

guest,
their are two types of norwegian elkhound: black and grey i cant find anything but some stuff in norwegian about the black kind. The smooth chow is reconized by akc but The listing dont say what kind of chow they breed.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='puppies411']guest,
their are two types of norwegian elkhound: black and grey i cant find anything but some stuff in norwegian about the black kind. The smooth chow is reconized by akc but The listing dont say what kind of chow they breed.[/quote]
from the AKC standard for the elkhound
"Color
Gray, medium preferred, variations in shade determined by the length of black tips and quantity of guard hairs. Undercoat is clear light silver as are legs, stomach, buttocks, and underside of tail. The gray body color is darkest on the saddle, lighter on the chest, mane and distinctive harness mark (a band of longer guard hairs from shoulder to elbow). The muzzle, ears and tail tip are black. The black of the muzzle shades to lighter gray over the forehead and skull.
Yellow or brown shading, white patches, indistinct or irregular markings, "sooty" coloring on the lower legs and light circles around the eyes are undesirable. Any overall color other than gray as described above, such as red, brown, solid black, white or other solid color, disqualifies. "
This tells me anyone breeding the off color is not likely a good breeder.
the temperament is listed as
"In temperament, the Norwegian Elkhound is bold and energetic, an effective guardian yet normally friendly, with great dignity and independence of character. "
The smooth chow is not recognized as an AKC breed but is an allowed variation in the breed according to the latest standard. So you *maybe* can find a decent breeder who is producing smooths but most are breeding the roughs only.
Chow temperament is listed this way
"Keen intelligence, an independent spirit and innate dignity give the Chow an aura of aloofness. It is a Chow's nature to be reserved and discerning with strangers. Displays of aggression or timidity are unacceptable. "
I would expect non stop barking to be an issue in Elkhounds but not in Chows.

Guest Anonymous

I have owned both in the past. My chow, Bernie is a sweety. he has a rough coat. Though some call them just rough shar-peis and consider them highly agressive. Definately wrong.

My late elkie. Kona was a sweety as well. she was young when she died. Due to someone not leashing their dog. it attacked Kona and broke her neck. She wa Euthanized. :( Elkies do not normally have a bark problem.

As for black elkies..... that's poor breeders.