Dogomania

Electronic gate success?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello! I am striking out with finding a gate for indoor use to keep my 2 mo puppy out of the no-no areas. I have tried up to 4ft and she still finds a way out. She is a genius, but that is a big problem!
So my next thought is an electronic gate. Does anyone have any success stories with these for indoor use (not the outdoor electronic fences).
I thank you in advance for your reply!
I love her to pieces but I don't want her tearing up my house to pieces![/img]

Guest Anonymous

I once saw an electric coller used on a dog.... I don't ever want to see it again. I don't know about electric fences but our last dog once got zapped when we had cows (stupid stupid cows) (Well not stupid, they were very smart when it came to getting out!!!) and that poor dog came howling up the hill like the devil was after her! (I always wanted to use that) And after that she never went near it again. So as far as my electric anything goes, I've had no good experiences.
I actually yell at the object that I don't want our dog going to or touching. We have a whole half of the house she's not alowed into as well as the boys rooms (Way too many chewies in that room!!) I even stomped on the road out front and yelled at it. You cannot drag her near that road and if you pick her up and try to carry her towards the "not Hazel" areas of the house she squirms to get away. I have never hit her or yelled at her personally, just the object.... the first time I saw my neighbor do it I really thought it was funny.... and I must admit that I felt pretty stupid yelling and stomping on the road..... but the results were great.
I am not sure this will help.... but maybe it will give you ideas.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sheesh']Hello! I am striking out with finding a gate for indoor use to keep my 2 mo puppy out of the no-no areas. I have tried up to 4ft and she still finds a way out. She is a genius, but that is a big problem!
So my next thought is an electronic gate. Does anyone have any success stories with these for indoor use (not the outdoor electronic fences).
I thank you in advance for your reply!
I love her to pieces but I don't want her tearing up my house to pieces![/img][/quote]
If you put up two gates and angle the upper one towards the room the pup is that should work for a climber to keep it in.
A dutch door half could also work or a full door or get a screen door and staple hardware cloth over it so she can see through and not get through it.
I would not use an electronic collar or shock method of training on any young puppy.
I would make sure there were extremely interesting things to do in the room she is left in - like a stuffed kong, a buster cube, a big smoked bone etc.