Dogomania

K9 Gunned Down--HELP

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

The night Git Ander, K9 police officer, returned home from working at the world trade center, he was gunned down in the line of duty. The prosecutor refuses to file charges. This is a heartbreaking story. You can help by emailing all of the officials listed on this site and demanding justice for the gunning down of this heroic dog.

[url]http://www.ctlegalguide.com/SlideShow/git.html[/url]

Guest Anonymous

I actually just ran accross that site, it was very sad.. I sent in an email and this is what I wrote....

This is the saddest thing I have every heard. Tell me what would happen if a police officer was shot? Dogs and humans are no different. This is obvious that the two who shot the dog did not take the proper steps in approaching the situation, beginning to end.

It all happened in a split of a second that was a mistake made by the two officers; however that split second mistake cost a life. What if that was a person or another police officer. The way K-9 dogs are trained as you know, they are not killing the suspect, they are restraining them. That is the biggest problem I have on this matter. If in fact the two thought that the dog was a stray, why would they shoot the dog 18 times if the dog was merely holding the suspects leg. Sounds a bit extreme to me. The officers clearly did not see this; therefore they do not need to be protecting our streets making the wrong split second decisions. What if the dog was a person holding the suspect for Sergeant John Gillepie? Would they have killed a person for restraining the suspect? I think not.

Officers Ronald Rusco and Craig Montgomery need to be punished for there mistakes.

I will leave you with one last thought

Guest Anonymous

We have 2 K9s in our dept. Under many state laws they are considered
on almost the same basis as a regular certified officer. Would the offending officers be any less culplable if it were a human being, and not
a fellow "officer"? There should be liability demanded for the actions
and the situation clarified. The prosecutor is taking the easy way out,
4 legged doesn't count. Wonder how he would feel if he were in the field
on an investigation and some form of danger would arise calling for use
of a K9, would he turn down that assistance? Would or could the K9 be so
judgemental as this man is? :evil:

Guest Anonymous

You made an excellent point Cannonballone. I hope you said just that in your emails to those officials. Since you have K9s in your dept, I think your comments are especially note worthy.

Despite the fact that the prosecutor has choosen to give a pass to these cops, in New Jersey, police dogs are given the recognition of being "K9 police officers" and it is a felony to assault or kill a police dog in the line of duty.

Guest Anonymous

I do now know about where you all are from,but out her in Canada,you shoot a police dog you are shooting a police officer and you get the same charges if you kill either one.Without any question at all you get life in prison,so I am here to tell you all of the police dogs in Canada get treated with respect because of that law..Frankly I think every where should be like that.Those dogs do what they can to save peoples lives and ingnorant people that shoot them are sick,bastards and probably have nothing better to do..I breed rottweilers and if anybody ever shot my dog I would hunt them down and shoot them if my dogs did not get to them first..And that poor dog,I bet you he was giving his all to try and save those people and this happens to him,mistake or no mistake somebody should have been more carefull..God bless him and his braveheart for wanting to help those people that died on September 11,2001.:(

Guest Anonymous

I wanted to thank the guest from Canadian for caring about Git Ander and sharing how police K9s are protected under the law in Canada. I hope you included that in your emails to the officials. Dogs in America even police K9s are not protected under the law. Even when found guilty of terrible abuses, abusers just get a slap on the wrist, if anything. I think our public officials in America need to know how other countries legally protect their police K9s. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

I just wanted to comment on this topic. I stated before that I was interested in the K9 division so naturally I approached my superior and questioned him about the nature of the work and so forth and he brought up some very good points.

The first thing the officer has to realize is that the dog is his "partner" it is the officers duty to protect his partner just as he would a human partner and vice versa...the dog will protect the officer. ( I don't know about all of you but I think I would rather have a dog protecting me than a human because a dog has so much more loyalty than a human does)

Everything the officers partner does is the departments responsibility...for example...if the partner jumps on a car and scratches it while searching for drugs...it is the officers responsibility to make sure the dog knows what to do and what not to do.

(I love this one) You can have 2 grown men with you and try to indimidate the bad guys and they won't budge...but bring a dog into the situation and they are SCARED...noone wants to get bitten.

Anyway on the subject of the officer getting shot on the way from duty...did he not have on a vest? I believe that all police dogs should wear bulletproof vests. The department spends over 10 thousand dollars on these trained dogs yet they can't spend 1000 more to ensure these *expensive* dogs don't get hurt?? Where is the logic in that?