Dogomania

Urine smell

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

HELP!! How in the world do I get rid of the urine smell? We have steam cleaned the carpets, sprayed, vacuumed, etc. but it won't go away. Someone told me to get Natures Miracle at PetSmart. Going there tomorrow. Any other suggestions? This is a brand new home and my son lives inthe basement with his new puppy (five months old). She is great but the urine stink.....

Hmmmm...yep Natures Miracle works pretty well as does vinegar...also try mouthwash.
Believe it or not some vet school did a trial and found that mouthwash worked. I read this a number of years ago so can't remember what school it was.

Also, has the pup been neutered? The urine of an intact cat is much stonger so perhaps the same is true of dogs. I am sure there are some folks here that can tellus it this is true.

Guest Anonymous

Nature's Miracle, Simple Solution, Odor Mute (comes as a powder you mix to needed strength) all work as do many of the other enzyme cleaners. Vinegar does not work on old stains just leaves the house smelling like a urine salad :smile:
IME Odor Mute does the best job of really killing old odor spots but it takes time and may be a bit smelly as its working (and drying)
Make sure if the rug has a pad you let the enzyme type product get right down to the pad for complete cleaning.
You might in really bad situations need to pull up pad and rug wash the subflooring let it dry and then do pad and rug before putting them back once dry.

[quote]
On 2002-05-21 17:28, tesha wrote:
HELP!! How in the world do I get rid of the urine smell? We have steam cleaned the carpets, sprayed, vacuumed, etc. but it won't go away. Someone told me to get Natures Miracle at PetSmart. Going there tomorrow. Any other suggestions? This is a brand new home and my son lives inthe basement with his new puppy (five months old). She is great but the urine stink.....
[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Just remember if you cant smell it doesnt mean the dog will not be able to smell the spot so I would use someting desined to remove the smell.

the cheapest is white vinegar. if the spot is old, don't use this trick, but if it's a fresh, wet spot, go ahead. First, lay down several layers of paper towel, then stand on it until as much urine as possible is soaked up. then pour white vinegar all over the spot, then soak that up as best as you can. Allow it to dry. The dogs may still be able to smell it, but you won't...I have tried this and it works! if the spots are old, you may even have to change carpeting and carpet padding as that smell will really get in there! Oxyclean is said to dissolve the organic smells and stains...if it does or not, i don't know...but I know I have clean carpets...be prepared to use much more than reccommended, however, as the reccommended useage is very weak.
Jessica