Dogomania

Paper foot

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My neighbours corgi puppy bitch, around six months old, has suddenly developed paper foot (splay foot, hare foot) where the toes are spread and she appears to be walking on her heels, thumping along rather than running, as she used to do, and tires easily. Is this curable or an inherited problem? Vet has prescribed calcium supplement but is puzzled.

Guest Anonymous

Foot Terms for dogs
Cat foot: short, round foot.
Hare foot: long, narrow foot.
Paper foot: flat foot.
Splay foot: toes that are not close together
So it sounds like the pup has a hereditary problem - what were the parents and grandparents feet like? What does the breeder have to say?

[quote]
On 2002-05-18 21:30, Anonymous wrote:
My neighbours corgi puppy bitch, around six months old, has suddenly developed paper foot (splay foot, hare foot) where the toes are spread and she appears to be walking on her heels, thumping along rather than running, as she used to do, and tires easily. Is this curable or an inherited problem? Vet has prescribed calcium supplement but is puzzled.
[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

Breeder maintains that parents do not have the problem and has offered to exchange the puppy for another from the same litter. By now, of course, the puppy is part of the family and the owners are resigned to making the best of it, if there is no cure. Thanks for your info, I'll pass it on.