Dogomania

Training

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

How do I train a German Shepard Puppy? He's 5-8 weeks old. We're at work from 9-5 and I'm worried leaving my puppy home alone for all those hours. I keep him in a big cage. I brought the dog yesterday and he sh!#$% all over my kitchen!!!! What should I do?!?!?!?!?!?

Can you help me out?

Raquel Bell
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

If you are gone all of the time. You should not have bought a GSD puppy. They are very active and require a home life with constant family interaction. I realize people have to work but if you work so much, how are you going to find time to train a puppy? GSD's are herding breeds and need something to channel their working and energy drive, if they do not have it they cane become house destroyers and even become aggressive. Do you have your puppy crate trained?

Yes, the crate should be big enough so your pup can stand up and turn around. If you are gone so long during the day, expect to be giving lots of baths and washing the crate every day because pups can not hold it that long. when you are home, keep him attatched to you with his leash and take him out about every 15 min at first and give him your command to eliminate. Don't let him play while he is outside and only stay out there a couple min even if he does not go. Make sure you keep a close eye on him while he is in the house. As he gets it that he is supposed to go outside, make him hold it a little longer. Good luck in your potty training!

Guest Anonymous

I hope you did not bring him home before he was at least 7 weeks old - if you did return him until he is old enough to leave the litter.
Baby pups pee and poop all the time - get ready to deal with it until the pup is old enough to physically be able to be potty trained.
I suggest a pet sitter come in at least twice a day to take your pup out on potty breaks and to feed it while it is so young and you are at work.
While its great having a dog I predict your dog will be in a pound before its 6 months unless you figure out how to housebreak, train, feed, play with your pup while you are not home!

[quote]
On 2002-05-14 02:06, Anonymous wrote:
How do I train a German Shepard Puppy? He's 5-8 weeks old. We're at work from 9-5 and I'm worried leaving my puppy home alone for all those hours. I keep him in a big cage. I brought the dog yesterday and he sh!#$% all over my kitchen!!!! What should I do?!?!?!?!?!?

Can you help me out?

Raquel Bell
[email][email protected][/email]

[/quote]

Guest Anonymous

yes I agree, someone must come round and let your little one out and be prepared to clean up "presents" also as that is too long to stay in your own pee/poo...it won't be a forever thing just till he gets a hold on himself so to speak...could you pop home from work at lunch? just a thought!!.....best of luck with potty training and all.........K.

Guest Anonymous

I am a pet sitter and are well used to looking after pups, as well as toilet breaks we can also help with basic training ie; lead, sit, come etc. We give lots of attention to all our clients pets, but pups are especially fussed over, having said that we don't wind them up and then just leave, we have a quiet 5 mins to settle them before leaving.

Pups at the beginning of toilet training need to be put where it's to relive it's self every 1/2 hour and then slowly increase it's length of time.

In all honesty at this young age I feel that if you can get some holiday time and spend it with your pup it will go some way to helping.

• 2 months later...
Guest Anonymous

Leaving a G.S. pup home alone for 8 hours and not expecting to find it in it's own excrement is impossible. I don't mean to sound mean but some people sleep in the kitchen next to the pups to help them out through there adjustment. -Now, picture leaving the pup alone for all those hours by itself. :cry: It's probably hard for you because lets face it, everyone has to work these days. Nobody is really home, 2 people have to work.
However, these dogs are like children. It's true. There smart as a whip and they know that they are being neglected this is why their erratic behavior comes about. It's no different than a small child in comparison.
Man, there are so many things to study in their behavior's. There's body language, tail movements, moods, everything. Why do you think Policemen Cry like babies when they lose one in action? They are that smart that there almost human-like, and a best friend.
If I were making the decision I would try and find a close and trusting friend who at least has one person home for half to a full day, and give he/she up. With nobody home at all, what you miss training now, will be a headache of catching up later. Before you get a dog everyone should check the pro's and con's. Good Luck, I hope it works out for the dog.