Dogomania

Transition out of crate?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

My fiance and I have had our dog for about 9 months, and estimate she is about 14 months old. We got her from the Humane Society and since she was a stray, we don't know much about her. We immediately crate trained her so she couldn't tear up our house when we were gone and to expediate housebreaking. She is a high energy dog (we think a boxer mix?) with some separation anxiety. When in her crate, she whines, salivates, trembles and chews on the crate. Despite this, I am hoping to transition her to roam the house while we are at work, but I have no idea how to do this without risking her chewing on our furniture. We tried a baby-gate, but she jumps over it. We've also tried to give her plenty of chew toys (some she only gets while we are gone) but she still chews on our things. Any ideas or suggestions on how to transition her? Is she still too young? I will glady take tips on solving the separation anxiety too...we've tried several suggestions with little success. Thanks!

Guest Anonymous

Seperation anxiety is VERY hard to break a dog of. Do you always come home from work at the same time? Make sure to do everything like a schedule. COme home, take the dog out, feed the dog, take her out again... ALWAYS do the same thing. EVERY DAY. As for the transition from the crate- she is not NEAR ready. And may never be ready to run around the house without anyone there. 9 months is still young. Pups only start to retain information around 5 months old. Be patient.

Guest Anonymous

This is still the same person, just registered now... do you have tips on how I know if my dog is ready to be transitioned? While my finace has had dogs before, I have not...I'm new to all this, but loving it!

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-05-09 08:42, Anonymous wrote:
snip
Pups only start to retain information around 5 months old. Be patient.
[/quote]
I think I've seen you say this one before and its a crock - pups can be trained very early on its just they don't always have the physical controls for things like housebreaking.
Many breeders are letting 8 week pups go home that are already clicker habituated (see [url]http://www.clickertraining.com[/url] for clicker info) and well started on knowing the cue words for behaviors like sit and come and down and stay etc
Pups learn best while they are young - waiting to train until they are adolescents is IMO and IME foolish.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Despite the popular usage of crates, I strongly do not believe that crating is a form of training. Being locked up in a crate teaches a dog nothing and is no subsitute for actual training. If you expect your dog to walk out of that crate some day well behaved, I think you are going to be very disappointed.

In your particular case, the dog came from the humane society and was subjected to crating. Further crating is just increasing his anxiety which is exactly what you describe. If he is nervous and unsure, he will not know how to behave. You have to show him what is exceptable behavior and what is not. Spend as much time with him as possible. Let him know when his behavior is wrong. He wants to please you. Give him a chance. You will know when he can be trusted alone by observing him when you are with him. He will gain self confidence and be happier when he knows how to behave. But crating will never train a dog. Limit the use of the crate as much as possible.

Guest Anonymous

[url]http://www.abap.org/bored.htm[/url] has some good information on differentiating between dogs with seperation anxiety and ones that are bored into chewing stuff up.
One thing to remember while you are working with this dog is this catch phrase 'a tired dog is a good dog'. Its lots easier for a tired dog to be well behaved o our terms when in the home. This age pup needs lots of directed exercise and should be tired out twice a day.
I suggest you consider finding a good behaviorist (ask your vet about a referral) to help you in person with this situation as I believe it is not the easily solved one of adolescent chewing behavior based on what you have said.

[quote name='Anonymous']My fiance and I have had our dog for about 9 months, and estimate she is about 14 months old. We got her from the Humane Society and since she was a stray, we don't know much about her. We immediately crate trained her so she couldn't tear up our house when we were gone and to expediate housebreaking. She is a high energy dog (we think a boxer mix?) with some separation anxiety. When in her crate, she whines, salivates, trembles and chews on the crate. Despite this, I am hoping to transition her to roam the house while we are at work, but I have no idea how to do this without risking her chewing on our furniture. We tried a baby-gate, but she jumps over it. We've also tried to give her plenty of chew toys (some she only gets while we are gone) but she still chews on our things. Any ideas or suggestions on how to transition her? Is she still too young? I will glady take tips on solving the separation anxiety too...we've tried several suggestions with little success. Thanks! [/quote]

Guest Anonymous

To use your terminology, sashagirl, “potty training” is teaching behavior. And how exactly does confinement in a crate teach a dog where he is suppose to go to the bathroom. The subject dog of this thread is 14 months old and is an adult not a puppy.

And K, I never attempted to talk anyone out of using a crate and into a life of misery. Considering that your slogan is, ”Remember, there are NO bad dogs out there, only bad owners and [b]poor training[/b]...K.”, I don’t understand your objection to my suggestion of training but if you don’t believe in training, that’s your choice. People who want well behaved, socialized dogs should not be talked out of training.

Guest Anonymous

I appreciate all the feedback and information, but it is frustrating still. Cadie does get exercise (powerwalking and running with me almost daily and multiple play sessions), we've seen a vet who specializes in behavioral problems and has used her as a case study at a conference. Also, in my defense Nikki, we have taken Cadie to obedience classes and continue to work with her on commands, and she does well. We use a crate to keep her safe when necessary (when home or away) and to keep us from spending hundreds of dollars on replacing our things, not as a substitute for training. While at home, she is an angel - she RARELY chews on anything that isn't hers. I am home as much as I can be, or take her with me to visit friends.

When we talked with the vet, he had trouble because she isn't textbook separation anxiety or textbook boredom. He recently went to a conference and used her as a case study...we should hear back from him this week. The best solution we've been offered at this point is to get her a companion, however, that won't work for us right now. We did get her a new crate, one that is more open on the sides and top so she can see better. So far, it has seemed to help, but as with many other things we have tried, it will work for a few weeks, then she will go back to her old ways. Keep your fingers crossed!

Guest Anonymous

[quote]you take the dog outside and let them relieve themself. Then you praise them and they eventually understand.
[/quote]

That is training. By taking them outside and praising them for going in the right place...you are training the dog. When the dog goes in the wrong place ie. in the house, you show disapproval.

But being in the crate doesn't teach a dog where to go, its what else you are doing like you just described. For instance, dogs kept in crates/cages like in puppy mills, stores and shelters will go in their crate/cage. I agree that a dog doesn't want to lie in it...but dogs will relieve themselves a couple of feet away from where they sleep...or particularly male dogs will urinate or "mark" their surroundings which can be your living room if they are not trained. The crate is not training the dog...it's what you described afterwards which is.

My only point was that whether a dog needed to learn where to go or to learn other proper behavior...not chewing...whatever...confinement in a crate alone will not teach the dog.

I also am a strong proponent of training for the dog's own safety and other's. If your dog gets away from you for instance, and is running into oncoming traffic, you can save his life if he is trained to come to you when called.

Guest Anonymous

Does K and sashagirl lack in reading comprehension skills. The two of you single out Nicki and criticize her suggestion of training. When she tries to clarify what she said, the two of you go off on a tangent about your own households and act indigent like you are the ones being picked on. How could you criticize someone for recommending training...you admit that you both train your own dogs. If you felt picked on and didn't like it, think how you make other people feel.

Remember the Golden Rule.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]I was not trying to criticize anyone. Purely explaining my reasoning for using a crate. Where in my post did I insult or criticize anyone[/quote]

Sashagirl, when you quote someones’s post and then say “The use of the crate is not to teach behavior, etc”, you are criticizing them. No one asked you to explain or defend your reasons for using a crate.

[quote]Nicki, personally I think…..people who want to use them should not be talked out of it and into a life of misery with their dog[/quote]

[quote]Sorry to appear objectionable but in a childish form of defense "she started it"..........K.[/quote]

No K you started it again. You respond to someone else’s post identifying them by name and ending by telling them not to talk people out of using crates, which Nicki never did.

[quote]looks like some one is trying to have a go at me now....stick up for me won't you!!!???[/quote]

The only ones trying to have a go with someone is the two of you.

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='sashagirl'][quote name='K']Sorry...this is over now....K.[/quote]

I agree. There is no sense for some reason 'guest' just likes to have a go at us as far as I am concerned.[/quote]

Hmm now you are presuming there is only one Guest - most times I sign on there are 5 or more Guests on too. I'm only commenting because you are accusing multiple people of having it in for you - I think you should reconsider that maybe more than one person disagrees with you instead.