Dogomania

RABIES!!!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

ei guys ive got a prob...i forgot that my dog's rabies shots were due already...and unfortunately she got bitten by a dog...for you filipinos out there nakagat sya ng askal...actually owners of homegrown dogs here in the philippines dont usually have their dogs rabies vaccinated...i told my sis to have my dog be brought to the vet immediately for her rabies shots...but the vet said it would be useless if ever the dog that bit her have rabies...does this mean my dog is doomed?how would i know if shes infected?can i have her examined if ever she's infected with rabies already...
ill appreciate all inputs...thanks

Guest Anonymous

I would go ahead and have him tested for rabies. Im not sure but I dont think there is a cure for dogs like there is humans.
Can you take the dog that bit him in to get tested?

Guest Anonymous

in my area, if the dog is bitten by an animal of which the status is unknown, the dog gets a "rabies booster shot" and for good measure is quarantined--i think for fourteen days. In domestic animals such as cats and dogs, rabies will show up in ten days, and there are two kinds--one is mad rabies, where they attack, and one is where they will quietly foam and die without being vicous. Constant thirst is one of the only signs i can think of off the top of my head. Just quarantine the dog. Also, I think in a regular fight or snap, it is most probably not rabies, as "mad rabies" can make the animal seem like a horror-movie star--absolutely relentless in an attack.

Guest Anonymous

well i think ill have her tested for rabies...
she should have her shots three months ago sashagirl...
actually i dont think the other dog has rabies(i really hope so) she snapped at my dog cause she(my dog) approached the other one, she's kinda playfull with other dogs(hats why i disagree that pits are agressive o other dogs by nature)...
well thanks for the infos...

Guest Anonymous

the frequency of rabies shots is based on local laws...not necessarly needs.

some places in the US require every year and others every three. I believe that shot really provides protection for three years.

I believe the only test is to cut the animal's head off and check the brain.

I believe your best route is to get the dog's titer levels checked...this should tell you if protection was there at the time of the bite.

Next, get the booster and quarantine the dog.
Are you sure the dog who bit your dog was rabid?

Guest Anonymous

I believe that they only way to test for rabies is by examining the brain - meaning, the dog must be decapitated! Your dog may still have some built up antibodies in its system from previous vaccinations. Check with your vet, wait it out, watch your dog carefully for any signs, if nothing happens - get your pooch vaccinated when your vet will do it.

If you really want to know if your dog still has antibodies in its system protecting it against rabies, request a Titer test be done.

Hope your baby is ok!

Guest Anonymous

Just realized that I wrote exactly what someone else did. Sorry bout that. Did have one thing to add though:

The longevity of the vaccination is based on the brand and what chemicals are used to keep it persistant. Some rabies shots are in the system for one year others 3 - but they are not all equal. However, just because we are told it is good for only a year doesn't mean that the dogs body hasn't done it's own maufacturing of protection - hence the need for a Titer.