Dogomania

Leashed at Night

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a lab/rottie mix and during the day she's let loose in the house or in the backyard. She's very gentle, besides the occasionally playfuly nip or mouthing, and most visitors love her. But at night, from about 9pm to 6am we leash her up in the kitchen to keep her from wandering around and waking people up. Is this okay? We don't do this to punish her, it's just that when we're trying to sleep, she'll come up and jump onto the beds and lick us until someone wakes up. She's going to start her obeidiance classes in two weeks, so that will probably help with the jumping on the beds, but until then, is it okay to leash her up in the kitchen just at nights? The leash is a long one (about ten feet in length- the kind people use to leash dogs outside)and she's never had any problems with tangling or anything. Should we continues with this until she's trained or should we try something else?

Guest Anonymous

The real question is - why is she waking you up? How old is she? Does she need to go out?
Or is she just lonely and wants company?
If in the past you have responded to her waking you up by playing with her and paying attention to her, she is exercising a learned behavior - I wake them up, they play
with me. The leash wont hurt her, providing she doesnt get tangled up in it, but it would probably be better to teach her that bedtime means no interaction unless there has to be - warning of an intruder, that kind of thing. Buy her a bed; her very own, and then baby-gate her in the area the bed is in. Make certain she goes to her bed every night when you do; the baby gate will insure she stays there until she is trained.
If you want her to stay in the kitchen, that's fine. Baby-gate her in there, and expect her to stay there. You dont want her to view the leash as a punishment; she doesnt know the difference between "good" leashing and "bad" leashing. The bed and the gate will provide her with a "den" area - she will be comfortable there and feel secure. If she is very young, she may be asking to go out, and as annoying as that can be when you want to sleep, it's to be encouraged for housebreaking purposes.
also, removing the leash from her bedtime will not make her view the leash as "the enemy". The gate is used for this purpose; the leash will need to be used for training and control. If she wants to hate the gate, fine. You dont want her to hate the leash.
My dogs were all gated until they were trained and housebroken. Be warned, though.
Make SURE the gate doesnt fall on her, or tip over and startle her, or it could make her afraid of the gate.

Guest Anonymous

One other suggestion - sorry - my dogs asked to be let out - teach your dog the word "outside" when she wants to go out. Then, if she shows up in the middle of the night and wakes you up, you can say "outside?"
and if thats what she wants she'll run to the door.

Guest Anonymous

I concurr a crate sounds better than even a long leash I would worry about what could get caught up or tipped over in the kitchen..try a crate (I believe you can hire them)my two pups have been crated at night right from the start and have no problems with it and I can sleep secure in the knowledge that they are safe and the contents of my house is not being secretly destroyed LOL and they learnt that one short sharp yap would bring me running if the "need" was desperate!!all the best with what you try...K.

Guest Anonymous

I don't think the leashing hurts her at all. Maybe makes her a little unhappy. I have a dog that constantly jumps out any window where the glass is raised. When the night is too hot to keep the window closed, I have tied him to the bed frame to stop him from going out the window. And he is fine. Terribly unhappy, but he gets over it--and stays safe! If you are truly concerned, buy a crate, or put her in the bathroom with a baby gate over the door--i have found shutting the door upsets the pups sooo much, but a baby gate seems to be a little detterrent that they are fine with for the most part.