Dogomania

Weaning

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Well, my foster pups are 3 weeks old now, and I've started giving them some mashed up puppy food mixed with goat's milk. They love it, but I have a hard time keping Gypsy from eating it. I have no idea how much to feed them and how often. Can someone help?

Guest Anonymous

Glad the pups are doing well :smile: - let mom clean the dish up and the pups too as the goats milk will help her make nutritious milk for them. Let her decide when to wean its early days yet for that to happen.
Give them feedings two or three times a day now (maybe while mom is eating her meals) and increase them as they learn to eat more and nurse less. I've done 4-5 meals a day for pups who were nursing but nearly weaned. Let them eat their fill for 10 - 20 minutes and then let mom clean up the rest. The meals drop back to three or so a day when the pups are ready to go to new homes. Then I drop back to two meals a day lifetime for dogs.
Try keeping a small dish of hard food in the pen all the time and let the babies play with and eat and teeth on it. If mom eats it that is ok too as right now is when nutrition demand is peaking for her in providing milk for those growing babies!
Make sure the pups cannot drown in the water dish but make sure they have fresh water in a low pan too. (low cake pans work for that)
Watch mom for signs of ecclampsia AKA low blood serum calcium (restlssness whining rapid breathing stiff legged walking pinched face look or worse case tremors with stiffening of muscles high temp - 106 degrees) if you don't have her on a multi vitamin or petcal tab you might want to. The goats milk will help her with calcium demands on her system too.
If you see signs of ecclampsia this is a veterinary emergency.
Sounds like you are doing a good job with the mom and pups!
[quote]
On 2002-05-02 09:10, Meer wrote:
Well, my foster pups are 3 weeks old now, and I've started giving them some mashed up puppy food mixed with goat's milk. They love it, but I have a hard time keping Gypsy from eating it. I have no idea how much to feed them and how often. Can someone help?
[/quote]

• 1 month later...