Dogomania

Crate Training woes....

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hi everyone..new to forum! Need advice on crate training puppy. Puppy is 3 mos. old and been with us for two weeks, has been sleeping in crate at night for one week with not that many problems. However...when we want to leave at any time he howls and howls for almost 20 minutes straight when left in the crate.
1. How do I handle the fact that he hates the crate during the day, but not at night?
2. At the same time I am teaching him to love the crate, how do i discipline the incessant barking?

Guest Anonymous

I suggest putting a toy or two in the crate with your dog. Try a kong. You can put all sorts of goodies in them..such as peanut butter, dog bones, dog food, and etc.. freeze them and give them to your dog in his crate before you leave.
Also make sure to give your dog some free time before going in the crate for the day.
One thing is certain do not of let your dog out of the crate while he is howling or barking. They learn that if they do this then they will get out kinda of like a child crying to be held or get its way. :smile:

Guest Anonymous

A dog behaviorist will tell you he is suffering from "seperation anxiety" which is layman for "I dont want to be left alone".

He is TOO attached to you. He considers you
everything there is to be. Do you coddle
him? Let him sleep with you? Give in to his every wim? BAD MOVE. He needs to see you as
the "Alpha Male" I am IN CONTROL I make the decisions, YOU follow. Once you establsh an Alpha relationship with this dog, and not allow him to make you feel sorry for him,
it will be easier to have a good relationship with him. He WILL respond to you because the pack instinct lives in every dog. YOU are the leader; HE is the follower.
It's hard to be the leader; some dogs are "passive" and dont seem to need the "strong hand"; dont be fooled - they all need a leader they feel they can trust - if YOU arent it, they'll take it on themselves.
Or TRY to take it on themselves.