Dogomania

vet stumped, dog can't open mouth

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello, this site was suggested to me by a friend. I have a 18 month old dog, and I had to take her to the vet on monday, because I realized she couldn't open her mouth very far. Now we have taken x-rays, everything is fine. The vet put her under, to open her mouth, and even with her completely under, he could not open her mouth. She is on antibiotics, there is some slight swelling. The swelling has gone down, but she still can't open her mouth. There are no injuries, sickness, she is eating, drinking, playing with the horse and her cat, etc. There was no signs I could see that she was not just normal. It is not tetnaus, or a spider bite. As I said, the x-rays are normal, she did not act loopy or anything else. Please, if anyone has any ideas, let me know!!! Need help desperately!!!
Rhonda

Guest Anonymous

While I am sure there are a number of folks here that can give you a good answer....let me make a strong recommendation. Go to [url]http://www.bestfriends.com/forum[/url]. Find the box that says health and behavior and post there.

They have a vet and a dog trainer that answer here.

Good luck!

Guest Anonymous

Good news! I just heard from my vet, Kylie has a Immune Mediated disease. She is responding (slowly) to steroids. After my vet contacted other vets, they all agreed on this verdict. Apparently, Kylies body decided her jaw didn't belong, and so kindof attacked it. The jaw muscle atrophied, (one vet said he saw it in some cases overnight). Her jaw should regenerate quickly, and she can come home tomorrow.
Thank you.