Dogomania

Puppy Troubles- please reply!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a 9 month old rottie/lab mix and she's normally a well-behaved dog and everyone loves her. But the trouble is that she's an escape artist. She can manage to get out of every collar and harness we've tried on her. She knows the trick of turning around so she's facing me and pulling so hard that the collar or harness slips right over her head. It's become a real danger to her, since she runs into the middle of the road, and we've narrowly avoided her being run over. I'm afraid that soon i won't beable to walk her anymore becuase one time she'll escape and won't come back or worse that she'll get hurt. Is there something I can do? Maybe take her to obeidiance class or is there some kind of collar or harness out there she won't beable to escape from? We bought her a harness in the first place thinking that it goes around her legs so she wouldn't beable to escape from it, but she quickly proved us wrong. I just want her to be happy and able to go on walks around the neighborhood which is her favorite thing. thanks for reading this. I know it was kinda long!
Stephanie Noftz

Guest Anonymous

Take her with you to the petstore and have her fitted for a Halti (you will need her there to best judge her size). If your not too keen on bringing her to the petstore, given your situation, purchase one or two, try them on at home and if they don't fit - return it. I would start with a size 2, maybe a 3.

Obedience classes will only help you help her - even experienced people benefit from attending class. AND your dog gets to socialize with other dogs and people - vitally important to development. So yes, obedience classes will help!

Best of Luck!

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-04-13 08:21, akitaresq wrote:
Obedience classes will only help you help her - even experienced people benefit from attending class. AND your dog gets to socialize with other dogs and people - vitally important to development. So yes, obedience classes will help!
[/quote]Agreed completely, best thing you can do for your dog AND yourself.

I also have a rottie (may be a mix but vet not sure) and I know how he has been! One thing about these dogs, they need to have a clear understanding of who is in charge & OB training (& socialization)is critical for them. I've found a plain old flat buckle collar (if you can easily slip 2 or 3 fingers in it is loose enough) to be the most effective. PLEASE do not be tempted to use a "choke" collar, they are potentially dangerous to the dog and not secure.

My boy (who I adopted) went flat out psycho the first time I tried a leash (snarling, struggling, etc.) so after getting advice from a trainer & a couple other rottie owners I tried this: next time I put the leash on I stood on it. I allowed just enough slack for him to lay down but not enough that he could stand up. He snarled, growled & otherwise tried to convince me he was the boss (not to mention scare the bejesus out of me). I did not respond to him at all either physically or verbally but just stood there until he finally got quiet & stopped fighting & to my amazement he was fine & has been terrific on leash ever since! I have no idea how many people this may have worked for or if it is so effective with all dogs, all I know is it worked like magic for me. Now when I pick up his leash he runs for the door & sits patiently there while I attach it, he now knows it means he's going out to have fun.

If nothing else though, if you go to obedience and your dog learns the "down stay" you can put her in it every time she starts to pull which will spoil her fun and discourage her from doing so. The thing is to show her how much more fun she will have if she walks nicely.

Guest Anonymous

A halti is a good idea but will only work if you clip your lead to the halti and also the collar, that way even if the dog backs of of the halti you have a back up with the collar........the chances of getting out of both before you can act is very very slim.

Guest Anonymous

You need a good 5 ply nylon collar. Put it on tight enough to get a tight fit with 2 fingers under it. Then, cut off the access so she cant pull it loose.
We had an escape artist we ended up having to keep in a kennel with a chain on her.

Guest Anonymous

Take a look at the martingale style collar sometimes called a 'greyhound' collar - its designed to tighten up when the dog pulls but not so much as to choke it.
Your question really should be why your dog wants to get away from you I think. I suspect due to her age she is not getting enough exercise and needs to run to burn some of her energy away.
Yes do go to obedience classes - you will both like your relationship better when you are done but seek out a positive type trainer to help you build that bond you need with your dog. See if you can find a dog play group to attend too to help burn off some of that adolescent energy!

[quote]
On 2002-04-13 07:58, Anonymous wrote:
I have a 9 month old rottie/lab mix and she's normally a well-behaved dog and everyone loves her. But the trouble is that she's an escape artist. She can manage to get out of every collar and harness we've tried on her. snipStephanie Noftz
[/quote]