Dogomania

How long to keep ears taped?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I just got my dobie a week ago(9wks old). The breeder said to keep the ears taped until he is 5/6 months, changing the bandage every 3/4 days and air them out for a half day between changes. He has been very helpful but this seems a tad too long. Does anyone have any experience with cropping the ears on Dobermans? Any help would be great.

Guest Anonymous

when we had our pups ears cropped we didnt put any bandages just made sure they were clean every day. after about 3-4 weeks the vet came over and took the stiches off. if u like to see my dogs you can go here: [url]http://www.geocities.com/pit_syrus[/url]

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-04-09 21:07, Anonymous wrote:
I just got my dobie a week ago(9wks old). The breeder said to keep the ears taped until he is 5/6 months, changing the bandage every 3/4 days and air them out for a half day between changes. He has been very helpful but this seems a tad too long. Does anyone have any experience with cropping the ears on Dobermans? Any help would be great.
[/quote]
Sounds like you got a long show crop on your puppy? or it has poor ear leather?
Taping is something an expert should do for best results. I never tape the whole ear on a pup as the cut edge needs to be open to be cleaned twice daily and get air to the healing surface.
How I tape-
the front uncut edge of the ear is taped with a couple of layers of triangular shaped tape for support using only cloth type adhesive tape
I then put my finger down the length of the ear and put a circle of tape at each bend in the ear to shape the ear into a tube shape that is self supporting. This leaves the ears mobile to build muscle controls and with maximum air to the edges and the ear canal.
Edges are cleaned twice daily with peroxide to keep infections from happening and the ear canal is also swabbed out after the edges are cleaned.
My pups have healed and standing ears in about 10 days with only an occasional extra circle of tape in support of a crease needed after that. My pups that are cropped go home with their ears already up!

Guest Anonymous

[quote]
On 2002-04-10 05:35, Anonymous wrote:
when we had our pups ears cropped we didnt put any bandages just made sure they were clean every day. after about 3-4 weeks the vet came over and took the stiches off. if u like to see my dogs you can go here: [url]http://www.geocities.com/pit_syrus[/url]
[/quote]

Good looking Pit. Whats the bloodline??