Dogomania

Animal obesity

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I've recently noticed several considerably overweight dogs. It appears that maybe pets and humans are struggling with similar weight issues. What do we do when our pets are overweight?

Guest Anonymous

My male Pug gained 11 pounds since his last medical exam. After ruling out any metabolic issues and other health concerns, my vet concluded that it's an issue of overconsumption and lack of excercise. He warned me that no more weight was to be gained or else my dog would have to be put on a diet. A friend suggested sending my Pug to an obesity management clinic. Any opinions?

Guest Anonymous

One of the most important things to cut out is table scraps, I know a family and each person give the dog just a little bit, by the end of the day it really adds up.

• 3 weeks later...

Give your dog an handful of biscuits or meat only twice a day, and a little bit of fruit like slice apples, pears. (these are very good and healthy) Give her plenty of excercise about an hour after she as eaten her food, do this often, weighing her...you should notice how much she as lost within a week, but dont starve her. Keep at note of her weight as well. If you exercise her a lot, remember to give her extra food, the more she burns off the more she needs, but exercising her often and not giving her fattening foods will help reduce the putting on weight.
In many breeds, you should be able to feel some rib without seeing it.
Good Luck

Shannon
Bullmastiff Owner, Researcher/Adviser of the Breed, and Lover of all animals!