Dogomania

Coon Hound Paralysis

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Our veternarian believes our Golden Retriever has contracted coon hound paralysis from the symptoms he is exhibiting. It started with a weakness in his hind legs. We thought it was likely hip displacia. When we took him to our vet, he was acting very lethargic and weak and was tested for hypothyroidism. He does have a low thyroid and was put on medication but his condition quickly deteriorated to where he could not use any of his legs at all (very scary for us). He remained responsive and still had his ordinary healthy Golden Retriever appetite. He also could wag his tail with much of the vigour he always has shown. Unfortunately he just is unable to use his legs. It appears there is no treatment and we don't know how long this condition will exist (ie the paralysis) but we are lead to believe that dogs do recover from this.
Can any one offer any information, tips, websites, or any other types of suggestions?

Thank you.

Jack & Wendy Brown
[email][email protected][/email]

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: jackwenb on 2002-03-02 14:17 ]</font>

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

Im sorry to hear that. Good luck. I do know a VERY good website. Go to drsfostersmith.com and click on pet edcution. Its very helpful to me! I wish you best of luck with your dog!