Dogomania

Chondrodysplasia- Help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Hello,
I need some help, advice, ect.
Here is the story:

My Aunt and Uncle breed Yellow Labs, this was the second liter born to their female. I went to the vet yesterday with her to help get the puppies in, as they are 6 weeks old, and weigh between 12-14 pounds each, and there are 6 of them!

The vet check was routine, they needed shots, worming medicine, ect. She was concered about one of the female puppies because the knuckles on the front legs seemed much larger than the other puppies. And this is the smallest puppy of the liter.

After very careful examination, we all noticed more signs. The front legs are very knobby, and the shoulders are very broad, they front legs are short, instead of the usual oval eyes, her eyes were very round. The vet said it has to be a dwarfism, he said it was Chondrodysplasia! He went into detail as to say that this is very uncommon, he has only seen it one or two other times over his many years. That this disease will cause death in 18 to 24 months of age.

He had no information to give her, so I went on line last night as soon as I got home and started emailing her links to a few web sites I found about this disease.

Here are my questions: I read that BOTH parents have to carry the recessive gene in order to have a puppy born with Chondrodysplasia. So if that is the case, does that mean any puppy ever born to her will carry the gene, and should the new owners be warned to have their dog tested before breeding? What does one do in this situation?

She kept a male from the first liter, and was going to use him for stud. Is this a bad idea now? Any advice or even your own personal story of dealing with Chondrodysplasia would be really great.

My Aunt and Uncle and very upset, very worried. I know this is not their fault, and they would have never know unless this happened. Also, should she never breed her female again (I don't think she planned on it any ways) but curious.

Thank you for any advice!!
Please respond to me directly at [email][email protected][/email] as I am unable to check back here.

Guest Anonymous

<<Here are my questions: I read that BOTH parents have to carry the recessive gene in order to have a puppy born with Chondrodysplasia. So if that is the case, does that mean any puppy ever born to her will carry the gene, and should the new owners be warned to have their dog tested before breeding? What does one do in this situation?>>

If this is a genetic disorder, both parents and their offspring need to be spayed/neutered and stop this recessive trait NOW. While advising that a test be done to the future owners would also be responsible, you are also taking a chance that they won't and more puppies will be born carrying this trait to carry on to more - in the long run this could affect the whole breed in general.

Adding a spay/neuter contract to the purchase of the puppies would be the best way to take care of this situation. Unless you can find a vet willing to do an