Dogomania

Bull terrier

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

Could you advise me on my two bull terrier bitches. They are 7 weeks old and are at the moment fighting, the thing is I am not to sure when I should stop it, if at all, because sometimes it does get quite aggressive. :sad:

Guest Anonymous

I have two female Akita puppies that are 11 weeks old and they get quite mouthy and aggressive with one another. I don't stop this because they are playing and they are also learning necessary socialization skills that are instinctual. My guess would be that they are trying to establish dominance while playing.

I would suggest letting their play/fighting take it's course as long as neither are being injured.

Guest Anonymous

You have to be careful of certain breeds, because these dogs ocassionally grow up to have a natural instinct to fight. I personally would not encourage play fighting to the point where one is going to get hurt, but i believe in safe play under close supervisation.

• 2 months later...

A lot of breeds have the instinct to fight, but this depends on owners and of course breeders. If you had your puppy from a well known breeder who shows there pets, really cares for them, (in other words puts there dogs first), you should not have a problem. A lot of this trate comes from people who breed them to fight...which is a genetic problem, but to avoid this you should only buy from a reputable breeder.

As for your puppies fighting, that is just play no need to worry, just dont encouraging them to bite your hands, arms and legs or your clothes, if they do bite you, just hold there head facing you and say (NO) in a firm voice....do this and in time they will learn who the boss is, which should be you. Give them plenty of toys to play with to prevent boredom, avoiding rawhide chews, bones or anything that will become brittle. ROPE TUGGERS are fun. my Bullmastiff loves his! You can also try Kongs filled with food, they come in sizes small, medium, and large....mine have several each. REMEMBER WHEN YOUR PUPS START TEETHING just put a little bit of Bonjela on your finger and massage it over there gums, this will help the pain!
One last thing, to prevent tartar build up brush your dogs teeth often, this can be done when they are 7 months old, it will give them a nice sweet breath smell.

Shannon