Dogomania

Newfies and water questions

Rave

Just a few questions about newfs and water. We live on a beach and right now our Landseer Bailey loves to play and swim, she is only 6 months old so maybe she isnt old enough or had enough swim time to have developed any "newf traits" in the water but here are the questions:

1) I heard they swim with a breast stroke instead of a dog paddle (ours swims like any other dog) does this develop naturally or do they have to be trained?

2) I know water rescue is a natural sense for them but will an untrained dog still attempt to pull people from the water?

3) How old should the dog be before water training is started? I have heard newfs might need to be trained twice because they tend to need refreshers when they are past the puppy stage.

Thanks for the help.

Thanks for the help Newfie mom. I am pretty sure to get WR certified in Canada you have to have breed papers etc. We bought from a breeder who charged more to get the papers so we didnt bother, we just wanted her as a pet anyway. I have read that it is against the law not to have papers for a purebred newf in Canada though we did not know that until after we bought her. The lady we bough Bailey from is registered on the Canadian sites so I think we are all right I hope...