Dogomania

Pit bull Shot..but where?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

This makes NO sense...maybe someone else can figure it out? Was the dog on the owner/dog's property? The police were clearly not on it, but was the dog? Did they shot just because it was not leashed or behind a fence? And a [b]Pit bull[/b]??

Loose Pit Bull Shot By Police
Dog's Owner Says Shooting Not Necessary

POSTED: 3:52 p.m. EDT September 23, 2003
UPDATED: 4:13 p.m. EDT September 23, 2003

A pit bull is recovering from a bullet wound after being shot by a police officer outside a Pontiac residence on Sunday.

Lourise McDonald's dog, Ra, was shot in the paw by a Pontiac police officer, according to The Oakland Press.

Police say the dog charged at the officer at about 3 p.m. Sunday in front of McDonald's Fourth Street residence, the paper reported. The officer fired a single shot to subdue the animal.

Pontiac police Sgt. Robert Ford told the paper that dogs are required to be restrained at all times, either behind a fence or on a leash.

"We do have a leash law in Pontiac," Ford said. "Dogs must be controlled at all times."

McDonald told the paper he took Ra, who is 4, to the vet for treatment. The dog is recovering and should be fine. He said he's never had any trouble with the dog, which is registered with the city, and McDonald doesn't expect any trouble in the future, the paper reported.

Ford told the paper officers were responding to a trespassing call and were walking near McDonald's property when the shooting occurred.

McDonald was reportedly issued a ticket for having an unrestrained dog and will likely face a fine.

The officer involved in the shooting isn't facing any disciplinary action, according to police. But McDonald told the paper he thinks the shooting wasn't necessary.

"To come in my yard and shoot my dog just isn't right," he said. "That's what pepper spray is for. People are too trigger-happy."

[img]http://images.ibsys.com/2003/0923/2505699_200X150.jpg[/img]

[url]http://www.clickondetroit.com/news/2505644/detail.html[/url]

I think the dog was in the yard... I THINK! :hmmmm: At least that's what I can deduce from the owner's statement at the end of the article.

If there is a leash law and the dog was in the front yard, did the owners have the dog trained to a radio fence? An officer would be unable to physically see it and might fail to ask about it in such a situtation. Just a question and the first thing I thought of when I read the article. I also realize it may prove impossible to answer. :niewiem:

Guest Anonymous

I [i]thought [/i]I read it right! That just bugs me! I'm sorry but police really need to be trained in dog behaviour, in some way. I personally do not believe that they are educated enough on what a friendly dog vs. a charging dog is. I know if my dogs were loose in my yard and someone came in, that it would appear that they were charging them. But charging them for attention, tails wagging and smiling...but I am really scared that would end up with them shot. That's such a horrible feeling. I think stun guns would even be better, it's not exactly ideal..but they at least are better then a dead dog.

Poor guy. Poor dog.