Dogomania

puppy crying??? Please Help!

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have a puppy about 8 weeks old. I've had a few days. The first night he stayed in the house with me. He cried to go out then cried to come in. I was up most of the night. I tired holding him and laying with him but nothing worked.

Last night was the third night. He slept most of the night without crying. I let him out to pee at 5:30 when he woke me up.

I live very close to my neighbors so I'm trying to keep him as quiet as possible. One neighbor in particular hates dogs and killed my last puppy. I am suppose to keep him chained up in my yard during the day but he cries when he is chained up. I"M LOOKING FOR A NEW PLACE to LIVE so I hope to have a better situation soon.

Anyway, I know this is a big change for him and want to help him adjust. I have someone at home with him during the day. I was taught to use a long lead and yank it to get his attention when he does something that I don't want him to do. (Chew on shoes, furniture, etc.) But should I punish him for crying. Will this demage his personality and hate me?

I can't just let him cry b/c the neighbors complain and I hate to hear without doing anything. I know some parents let their children cry and other always go to them to hold them.

What should I do... besides move? Some of you might also say that I should have waited to get the puppy. I've been without a dog for nearly 2 months... which is an eternity for me.

I'm also having problems with my Jamaican boyfriend who does not want the dog in the house. He actually slept out in the car last night b/c I refused to put the puppy outside. Lots of problems!!! This is a new culture for me. Many people do not treat dogs like Americans do here (in Jamaica). Dogs is the one thing that make me happy in life and I refuse to change my ways. He never had a dog in the house before. Any ideas on how to help him adjust. He wanted to choose the dog over him and I said I would choose the dog b/c I don't want to be with someone that can't be around dogs. I've been with him for a year and this is our 2nd puppy.

I know I'm leaving myself open to a lot of criticism so try not to be too mean. :oops:

Guest Anonymous

my dog cries all night also. I think the best thing to do is leave him alone. if you pet him he thinks you are rewarding him for crying and it will be a long time before he is trained IF he gets trained at all. If you let him out every time he crys he will cry all the time. my advice is just act like you cant hear him. As for your boyfriend, I wouldnt go out with a guy that dosent like dogs (dogs rule my life!) and you cant marry him if he dosent like dogs!!!! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

I will not pick on you, I promise! I have a husband who's not too fond of animals... but I figure he keeps me in check as I owned a zoo before we were married! I would have to say the best thing to do would be to wait out the crying and when the pup stops praise him and give a treat. This will let him know that when you do come home you will love him lots! Don't be to excited about home commings as it can cause seperation anxiety (boy if it's not one thing it's another... :roll: ) Another thing you might try is crating your puppy durring times when you are gone. This will make it so that the pup is heard only by those in the house and not your grumpy neighbor... we had one of those too once.... sigh.
Any way good luck with all that goes on in Jamaca.... and hang in there...

Guest Anonymous

The only problem is my neighbors because they already complained about him crying. My boyfriend took me to work the first morning we had him and he cried the whole time we were gone. It took about an hour. I live in a town house community for now. and I'm surrounded by 3 homes. The dog murderer was the first to complain to my landlord. I think she knows better then to talk to me.

Guest Anonymous

I've crated all my other puppies but I'm a little low on money right now. I try to wait until he stops before going to him. It's so hard. He's so pitiful. So I guess letting them cry doesn't affect their personality. I want him to trust me and of course love me. I took him away from his mom and 8 brother and sisters. Now he is all alone with no other dogs around. He seems happy when he is not crying. I think it is getting better everyday.

I would have a zoo too if i had more space and money.

Guest Anonymous

You said he cries when you chain him in the yard. PLEASE tell me that you don't chain up this 8 wk old puppy. He's just a baby for crying out loud.

Maybe the other's are going to sugar coat their response, but I am not. You were very selfish and self centered to get this puppy in the first place. You openly admit that money is tight, but you elected to be selfish and take on a puppy. You took a living thing that depends on YOU, knowing that you can't really afford him, knowing that your neighbors HATE dogs, knowing that your boyfriend doesn't like dogs. Do this puppy a favor, find someone else that can afford him before he is abused by your boyfriend or killed by your neighbor.

There are reasons why puppies cry. Hunger, cold, hot, lonely, parasites eating them up (both outside and inside), hurting, etc... I doubt that you have dewormed him or given him his vaccinations, because you are short on money.

Stop being selfish and find this puppy a new home that can properly care for him. When you in a position to have another puppy ---- more money, less one prick of a boyfriend, a new location ---- then get one. There are thousands of men out there and thousands of places to live to put up with all that load of crap!

Guest Anonymous

If you knew me I really don't think you would have responded this way. I can and do offer a very loving home. I will get rid of my boyfriend before I get rid of the puppy. If you noticed he slept at a friends last night b/c I refused to make the dog sleep outside. We live together right now.

I'm not THAT short on money. I am of course giving him his shots, deworming, etc. I make more than probably 80% of the people here. I just can't afford $65 dog food, which is what Sciene Diet cost here. I'm probably going to buy it and mix it with a cheaper brand. Believe me he is lucky to have me. Most people just feed their dogs scraps.

Keep in mind I live in Jamaica and I KNOW that I will offer him a much better environment then his alternatives. 95% of people here don't let the dogs in their houses and let them run free.

I really didn't think chaining him on a very long chain was cruel... actually I do know that I don't want to chain any dog no matter what age. I think it makes them more aggressive. But what happened with my other dog is that he squeezed through the fence and was taken by my neighbor.

I am in the process of moving and have already given my 30 day notice.

You should try to find out more info before you judge people.

Guest Anonymous

You could try getting a battery powered travel alarm clock that ticks, wrap it in a towel with a hot water bottle and put it where the puppy sleeps while you are in bed or gone. This usually will help them settle down as they think it is their mother's heartbeat. I cannot say for sure that it will work but it is one possibility. I have used it with my puppy and it has worked. I hope it helps you some

Guest Anonymous

[quote=Kahlua&Helmsley'sMom]You could try getting a battery powered travel alarm clock that ticks, wrap it in a towel with a hot water bottle and put it where the puppy sleeps while you are in bed or gone. This usually will help them settle down as they think it is their mother's heartbeat. I cannot say for sure that it will work but it is one possibility. I have used it with my puppy and it has worked. I hope it helps you some[/quote]

thats a good idea. also if you you can use one of those little heating pads, but MAKE SURE he dosent chew it or the cord! I heard that works but im not sure. If you dont have a heating pad put lots of blankets and make him nice and warm! :wink:

Guest Anonymous

Hey not to be nosy but how and why did your neighbor kill your dog!? Is there anything you can do to put him/her in jail or even to get the person a fine?

Guest Anonymous

By the way abusser don't get down by what some people say. I have been in the same place. (kinda) just keep your spirits up.

Guest Anonymous

Abusser:
On another thread you mentioned he has ticks and is coughing. Have you taken his temperature? Is he sick?

He sounds uncomfortable and miserable from the ticks. Ticks can be painful and he doesn't know what else to do, but cry. When he was with his mother, he cried when something was wrong and she comforted him. She comforted him if something was really wrong --- she knew this and ignored him when he just wanted to fuss.

How long have you had him? I disagree with the ignoring him when he cries. He doesn't know any other way to get your attention. If he's being just a spoiled, unmannered brat --- that's one thing. But he sounds like he may not be feeling well.

Teach him that when he wants to go outside, to bring you a toy or any other way of notification --- other than crying.

Crying is an indication that something is just not right with him. Rather it be he's not feeling well, scared, lonely, or just being a brat. He just doesn't know any other way to convey his feelings. It's up to you --- surrogate mom --- to teach him.

I use red juicey apples when the pups start teething. The apple is crunchy, juicey and tastes good. It can keep him entertained for hours, because it can roll, he can chase it down and he can bite it. It will massage his gums, tastes good and acts like a pacifier. Just make sure he doesn't bite a big chunk off and get choked (has never happened to me, but could).

We feed "Diamond" puppy food to the pups. You don't have to feed a "Neimann Marcus" name dog food to have good nutrition. Just read the label and use common sense. Don't use a food that uses BHA as a preservative. BHA is said to be a cancer causing agent. I would stay away from a dog food that is primarily yellow corn, especially since you are in an area of high humidity (correct?), because of the Afflatoxins that could occur in corn.

Guest Anonymous

An eight week old puppy is a baby. I would not ignore his crys...I would comfort him.

An 8 week old puppy does not belong chained up outside.,..not even for an hour. This pup should be in the house all the time. And you should have been prepared to spend more time with him.

I also question why you would bring another dog to your current house when you claim your neighbot killed the last one...and then you leave this baby outside for the neighbor to do the same thing to this one. You don't discipline a pup for crying.

As far as your boyfriend, you knew how he felt b4...that should have been resolved b4 you brought this pup home. As far as your claim that you would dump the boyfriend...well don't claim...do it. I personally doubt these kind of statements as I have heard to many women claim that they are gonna dump the guy...and years later they are still claiming. And your question regarding any suggestions to change him supports my feeling.

And while you may relocate and get away from your current neighbors...the rest doesn't sound like it is gonna change.

Dispite your claims of great love for dogs, I have to really question your actions. Your actions don't show great care, concern or responsibility. I think it is very cruel that you keep an 8 week old puppy tied outside during the day...and I don't feel there ever could be a justification for this.

Guest Anonymous

Nicki when we had our little talk about if dogs should be inside or outside I forgot to put that my mom does let them be 100% inside when they are pups. She lets them be inside as much as they want untill they are about 6 months. I still feel they should be inside 100% all the time execpt for potty and play don't get me wrong. But I also feel that the pup is to young to be chained.

Abusser do you have a fenced back yard? (just curious)

Guest Anonymous

I guess I didn't think keeping him outside was cruel... he seems to have fun most of the time. Playing in the grass and he is not alone except for about 2.5 hours a day. My apt is has french doors and windows that open up to the yard so it is pretty connected.

Actually I have not used the chain much at all. I guess b/c he is so big already it's had to think of him as being so young.

My other puppy disappeared one day and my neighbor had told some other people that she was going to put him in a bag and dump him somewhere. That is why I suspect here. I've talked to the Animal Cruelty group and the police here. They said I can't do anything unless I find the body and I never was able to find any proof.

My current yard is 80% fenced and the unfenced portion back up to a hill. I have to watch him carefully to make sure he doesn't go up the hill and around to the other yards.

Tic Doc: I will watch him carefully over the weekend. He doesn't seem to have a temperature or be sick. He is very playful and the coughing is now minimal.

Guest Anonymous

nikki, if you comfort a dog when he whines, he inturprits it as a reward, so he will whine all the time when he is older. as for being outside, when will he be old enough to be outside? he needs to be trained early if she is supposed to go out to do her buisness. she is probaly going to be a big dog considering all of the breed inside and if she has a small condo, a big dog will be unhappy in a small house all of the time.

Guest Anonymous

[quote]nikki, if you comfort a dog when he whines, he inturprits it as a reward, so he will whine all the time when he is older. as for being outside, when will he be old enough to be outside? he needs to be trained early if she is supposed to go out to do her buisness. she is probaly going to be a big dog considering all of the breed inside and if she has a small condo, a big dog will be unhappy in a small house all of the time.
[/quote]

I don't know what you mean by whining...but I do understand what it means when a 8 week old puppy cries. At 8 weeks, the dog is a baby. I can even understand an older pup crying when it is first put into a new home. I always comfort "crying". An older pup doesn't cry...it is not a behavior than continues. So I don't believe the dog interprets this as a reward and would continue this behavior when older.

Training the dog to go to the bathroom outside and keeping the dog outside are two different things. You can start immediately training the dog to go to the bathroom outside...go with him...don't just keep him out there. I really don't like to see any dog left outside all day...especially if it is chained...many states have laws on how many hours you can chain a dog outside. No one endorses keeping a dog chained outdoor. Some people are fortunate to have large enclosed yards with proper shelter which allows their dog to stay outdoors on a longer basis. But in this case based on her description and the closeness of her neighbors, she does not have that type of yard. So the yard itself is a big factor in this. It also has to do with the size/breed of the dog...never mind the dog's personality. But a dog, in general should be much older, closer to the one year mark. Then the amount of time would also vary depending on the season...how hot or cold it was outside.

A small condo is not a problem with a large dog but if an owner thought it was, they should not have selected that particular size dog. I don't find that as an acceptable excuse to keeping the dog out all day. As much as dogs like to play outside and run around, they really don't do this for 8 hours straight. They can be very happy staying inside with outdoor walks and playtime provided.

Guest Anonymous

I wanted to point out that in Jamaica probably 90% (or maybe more) of dogs are kept outside all the time. I'm not saying that it is right or wrong, it's just how things are here. Actually I like having the dog inside with me when I'm home and realize they need to socialize and be around people or other dogs.

I'm not an expert... like it seems most people here are or think they are. I'm just a dog lover. My puppy never lived inside until he came home with me. He was born outside and was kept outside with his mother and brothers and sisters. Most people here think I'm crazy letting a dog in the house at all, so it's a cultural thing.

My yard is medium size. The problem is that 85% is fenced but there is a small portion in the back that is not fenced. If I stayed there I would look into putting fence up in the back to fence in the whole yard.

By the way, he's not crying much at all anymore. He is sleeping in side with me and I let him out to pee. He is also no longer coughing and I have not seen anymore ticks. But his stool is still runny. I plan to take him to the vet today.

ok, everyone here is my story....

My boyfriend and I were having thanksgiving dinner with a friend and a friend of a friend brought over a box of Shar - pei (sp?) puppy's I decided I wanted a puppy and my boyfriend has never grown up with a pet let alone a dog/puppy....we thought about it and decided that we were going to get one...well it fell through and we didn't get a shar - Pei. Then our best friend is a breeder of the wonderful breed of APBT! He told me that the bitch LoLo is expecting....so he promised me a female. She welps in december and I am getting so anquise and then I see my baby...the only female in the whole litter....he does not fall through and gives me her...I have a part time job basically with my dad and I am short on cash...No matter how short you are on cash you will find the money to get you "kid" healty and keep them that way!

I get Gizmo and I stay and sleep on the couch with gizmo in her little bed... She whinned alot the first 3 nights and I would let her out and she would go pee/poop and then she was up and wanted to play...I didn't know what to do so I go back to sleep and she plays...then she whins and I let her out again then she goes to bed...My boyfriend personally loved it becasue he got the whole bed but we have had fights about her becuase he was getting sick of her peeing and pooping every where...well we got past that...and personally you can change someone if they are willing to give it a chance..my boyfriend is German 100% and they are the most STUBBORN people I have ever met! LOL So I think if he has excepted her then your jamacian boy can or he will loose you and the puppy...

But what I did when she got older is I gave her stuffed animals and got a heating pad put it on the medium level...put blankets around it and put the stuffed animals around...she was fine...The apple is a really good idea...but dont judge someone when they say the are short on cash becuase NO MATTER WHAT...they will find a way!

Homeless people have dogs....the dogs are fine.....just like they are.....
Sure if they had more food and water and a roof over their head..they would be happier but it is so easy to please so many dogs and people...

Good Luck....tell us what the vet says....

Guest Anonymous

GizmoRedNosePit: Thanks for your story. I really appreciate. I was hoping the new post wasn't going to be negative. My boyfriend is getting better and the dog is sleeping in our room with us. He still can't stand the puppy licking his feet. What's funny is the puppy wants to sit right under his legs while we are watching TV and everytime I move him he goes right back under my boyfriends legs. I wonder if he is trying to win him over or does he just prefer that part of the floor. No matter how I play with him he goes right back to my boyfriend, which drives him crazy.

I used to have a cat that did that with my ex boyfriend. He used to hate my cat and wanted me to keep him off the furntiture.... basically away from him. What I thought was funny was that he ended up really loving the cat even though he pretended to hate him. When we broke up he asked to keep the cat, but of course I took my cat with me.

Seems like animals since that they need to win people over. yesterday I even caught my boyfriend talking to the puppy and called him "honey buns" which I sometimes call the puppy. Instead of his name Kingston.