Dogomania

Any suggestions?

Guest Anonymous

Guest Anonymous

I have an 8 yr old female standard poodle in excellent physical condition. Recently while going for short walks she suddenly drops her head, her tail goes between her legs and she refuses to take another step forward. As soon as I turn around towards home she perks upo and walks perfectly. This behavior occurs in different locations at different times with no obvious cause for this strange behavior. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[email][email protected][/email]

Guest Anonymous

[quote name='Anonymous']I have an 8 yr old female standard poodle in excellent physical condition. Recently while going for short walks she suddenly drops her head, her tail goes between her legs and she refuses to take another step forward. As soon as I turn around towards home she perks upo and walks perfectly. This behavior occurs in different locations at different times with no obvious cause for this strange behavior. Does anyone have any suggestions?
[email][email protected][/email][/quote]
Take note of *everything* around you at these times from the obvious to the odd. See if you can match up anything such as a model of car, a particular noise, a scent on the air, a dog marking spot, the distance you have gone etc
There is probably a cue you are missing either in her body (which might have something you have not yet found that is causing pain after a short walk) or in the environment there is maybe something has a negative connotations to the dog for reasons unknown to you.
My standard poodle is afraid of blinking lights and flashlights! Certain sounds also bother him.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Anonymous

This sounds like a behaviour problem apposed to a heath problem but take her to the vet and tell him the problem just in case!

If it is a behavioural problem this is what you should do;

Get a toy and make her always do something for it ie. sit,down or stand (and trick you like) as a reward for getting this write allow her to play witht he toy and you for thirty seconds. Repeat this many times and you will soon notice that she will do anything for that toy. Do not let her have the toy when you are not around put it away an only bring it out as a special treat. Then on a walk take the toy (hide in pocket) and some meat. When she goes into the 'i wanna go home mood' take out the meat and entice her so just her head moves upwards a little and praise and get the toy out and run along with the toy. If you have trained her with the toy properly you will notice she is fixated with the toy and ignores anything that is worrying her. Let her play with the toy and continue with your walk for about two minutes. Gradually extend the length of the walk after she has become depressed and start to only bring out the toy every other walk and then leess and less, eventually you should have a more happy and confident dog that you can get to do almost anything for that toy. Get back to me and let me know how you get on and if i can help you any furthur.