Dogomania

introducing old dog to new puppy

mczt

Help !! I have a year old Shih Tzu which is the best dog I've ever had. She is very loving, listens and learns so fast. Anyway, brought home a 4 month old puppy (shih tzu as well) several days ago. The older one wants nothing to do with the puppy. Totally ignores her. The puppy will try to play with her but she will get up and walk away. Even with the older one's toys, the puppy will go and take them from her and she allows it. Does anyone know if this is normal ?? Will the older one eventially warm up ? It bothers me alot because I thought I was doing something good for the older one by getting her a playmate.....now I don't know if I made a mistake..........

Now the last couple of days the puppy is biting my older dog. The older dogs cries because she is truly hurting her. I tell the puppy "NO" in a stern voice but not sure if I sure be doing that. Is this normal for the puppy to act like this ??? Should I just leave them alone to take care of it on their own. I thought this would be sooo much easier. I just feel so bad because the older dog is such a sweetheart !!

• 3 months later...

my dogs were friends, as so happens, i lost a few and gained a few, and now none of mine are friends. I wish I could make them be friends but I don't know how. I do know that your older one ignoring the younger one is normal. the younger one has not learned puppy manners, I, personally, would keep interfering with the puppy biting the older dog because the older dog shows no inclination to bite back. you could try to make them play tug of war or fetch together but I don't know that that would really work so well--mine are probably never going to be friends and this has not worked for me. It has worked for me in the past. Long walks together has worked in the past before, too. they get excited about spending time together, it's sort of a conditioning excercise.

• 5 months later...

:(
Like you said, new puppy doesn't know when to back off, simply because he is a baby and still needs to be taught. It's a lesson best taught by your 4 month old puppy. It's okay to let the older dog Shih Tzu at the puppy. Puppies learn important lessons from their elders, just as human children can.
The only time you need to step in, is if the older dog really has had enough and it seems like the puppy is going to get hurt.
Give the puppy plenty of exercise. A tired puppy is less likely to behave over zealously.
I think as the puppy grows, and is more settled things will be fine.;-)