Dogomania

JRT has skin itching condition any advice?

GoLucky

Hi all,
I just love this site, it's great to meet other JRT owners. Anyhow, our JRT Lucky has been suffering from itchy skin, the VET told us it could be food allergies and gave him a shot. This shot did help relieve him, but now it's back again and before taking him to the VET for another shot, we rather ask other owners of JRT if they experience this problem. Our poor lucky rubs on furniture or our walls when he's going through an itchy phase. We also try to scratch him and he loves that. It's not fleas for sure! Anyone has an idea of what is the best food to give a dog when he has skin sensitivities from food allergies? Any advise would be greatly appreciated by us and our LUCKY. :wink:

Also has anyone experience this with there JRT??

Thanks a bunch!

First, change to an all-organic dog food such as INNOVA. It has helped many Akitas I have worked with in rescue who had skin conditions. You can read up on Innova and other superior dog foods on the web. This alone has solved many skin problems for dogs.

Second, have your dog's thyroid level checked by vet. Simple test-usually costs $25. If his/her thyroid is low, a cheap medication ($3. a month) will fix it. It will need to be taken permanently. About 80% of the dogs I have rescued, and please note this is a problem particularly in Akitas, needed thyroid supplementation.

J.Ringer, Idaho

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Lucky,
I would recommend switching Lucky to a grain-free diet since he might be allergic to a grain in the food. I would recomment:
-Nature's Variety Instinct
-Solid Gold
-Wellness Core (Jesse and I are waiting for the newest "Ocean" variety to come out)
-Innova EVO

Jesse had the itching skin problem, but it went away when I switched him to a grain-free diet. I hope this helps :)

~Heather and Jesse~