Dogomania

who has entered for Crufts?

peter@shakeey.freeserve.c

How do you "qualify for life" at Crufts? I've never been (I live in the U.S.), but hope to one day. My dog won the Breed at the AKC/Eukanuba invitational show, so he is qualified for this year and next, but but his ears are cropped, so he can't go anyway. :-(

-- Pamela
[url]www.ChriMasoBostons.com[/url]

You have fantstic Bostons.
Mine have a stud book number, its a certificate you get from the kennel club for winning the Limit dog or bitch class at a Championship show with CC's. It is very hard with huskies to get the stud book number as we have very big classes at Champ shows. The average class for bostons at a crufts last year was 5, husky's were 15. Champ shows are usually a bit bigger. The limit class always has the most with at least 20 dogs or 20 bitches as everyone wants a stud book number. One of my girls is entered twice in the stud book as she also gained her Junior Warrant, this is also hard to get as you need a certain number of points before they are 18 months old, and you only get the points if you win a first place and there was more than 3 in the class, you need 27 points, you get 1 point for a 1st at an open show and 3 at a champ show, but you have to get so many points from each show. Its very confusing.
But then again, I find the American point system confusing lol
One day I will get someone to explain it to me in simple terms:oops:
Nicky

Very interesting. What are the requirements to enter the Limit Class?

AKC championship requirements ARE kind of confusing. Ha Ha Let me try to explain.

Dogs can earn their championship at any time after they reach 6 months of age. The dog must be awarded 15 points by at least 3 different judges. Each show will award 0-5 points. Points are based upon the number of dogs (same gender, same breed) that is beaten, but the number includes the dog itself. The points also vary by region based upon the number of entries of that breed. Within this 15 points, the dog must be awarded 2 "majors" under 2 different judges. A "major" is defined as an award of 3, 4 or 5 points at a single show.

In California, the point system for Bostons is as as follows:

1 pt for dogs requires an entry of 2 dogs showing
2 pts for dogs requires 5
3 pts (a major) = 8
4 pts (a major) = 9
5 pts (a major) = 12

1 pt for bitches requires an entry of 2 bitches showing
2 pts = 8
3 pts = 13
4 pts = 17
5 pts - 20

So for example, if 8 dogs are entered, but only 7 show up to be shown, then for dogs, it is a 2-pt show for the winner. Of course, it CAN get more complicated. Let's say there are 17 bitches entered and they all show up. This means that the winners bitch gets 4 points. Now the WD & WB go in to compete for Best of Winners, Best of Breed & Best of Opposite Sex to BOB. So, if there are 2 male specials and 3 bitch specials (a "special is a champion competing for BOB/BOS) and the Winners Bitch gets BOS, then she has beaten 3 additional bitches, so now she gets the 5 point major. If the Winners Dog get BOB, then he will also be awarded Best of Winners automatically and in the AKC the Best of Winners canNOT be awarded fewer points that the other gender, so the WD will ALSO get the 5 point major.

It can get more complicated too. Let's say the WD did win breed, but only got 2 points. Now he goes to Group competition. If he is awarded a Group 1 placement (and ONLY the Group 1), if ANY dog in any breed within that group was awarded more points (so, 3, 4 or 5 points), then the Group 1 winner gets to get those points instead. Since he beat the BOB in that breed, then he has beaten the dog with the more points, so he cannot receive less points than that dog.

This how some of the more rare breeds finish their championship because there are not enough dogs in breed competition to get a major, so if they get a group 1, then they can get that major.

Kinda make sense? I KNOW it is confusing. It's taken me over a year to fully understand it. Ha Ha

What is the championship requirements in the UK. Do you also show in non-UK countries? If so, can you explain their championship requirements? I have a dog in Italy right now, but he was in France and obtained his French, Bulgarian, Macedonian, and Luxemborg championships while he was there. I'm hoping he'll get titles in at least Italy, Croatia, & Slovenia while he's in Italy. He goes to South Africa after than.

Wow, so it is easier to get a Champion in the USA than in England.
Here it is very difficult to get a champion.
To be a Champion you need to win 3 Challenge certificates ( CC's).
You can only win these at Championship shows if your breed has CC's, not all Champ shows hav4e CC's for your breed as there is a set number of CC's handed out for each breed every year.
All breed classes at a Champ show are seperated to dogs and bitches. Dogs are always shown first, then the bitches.
The classes start off with minor puppy and end with open, certain classes you cannot enter if your dog has had more than a set amount of !st places at a champ show, but the silly thing is you can go in any class you want if you have not won the set amount:niedowiary: . Example: if you have a dog who is 3 years old and won 5 1st places at a champ show, you can only enter certain higher classes, but if you have a puppy, you can put it in all the classes if you wanted to, or completely skip puppy and put it up with the open class that is usually filled with champions and other dogs that can no longer go in the below classes.:roll: It is done quite often by bigger well known breeders if the want to win best puppy in breed.
Right back to the how to make a champion.
If you win 1st in your class at the champ show, all the winning bitches compete for the best bitch. The winner of the best bitch gets the bitch CC, the second winner gets the Res CC ( you can get 100 res CC's and never be a champion, it is not worth anything, silly really!) then the dog winner and the bitch winner compete for best of breed, to see who will go through to the group.
Now I have my 1st CC, so now I need to go to another 2 more champ shows and go through it all again to win another 2 bich CC's to make my biotch into a champion.
Now their are usually about 150 - 180 Huskies at a Championship show offering CC's, so you can see how hard it is to get that CC. You could win loads of 1sts at Champ shows and never make your dog into a champion, they have to get that CC.
Now you see why we are so happy if we make a Champion up, it is so very hard to do lol.
I have been told that in the USA you can make a champion up by 7 months old?
I am going to print off the American points sytem and see if I can work it all out lol.
I have never shown abroad, always got the kids in tow. When they are older we would like to do france, belgium and Ireland, we have a Imported bitch from France.
I think Boston Terriers dont get many CC's in England.
They are thinking of banning tail docking here too, their are going to be alot of short tailed breeds with long tails, now that is going to be strange!
Nicky

Actually, it sounds easy; however, it is NOT. Getting the 2 majors is VERY difficult in many areas. We didn't have any majors in my state for 8 months last year. It was HORRIBLE. AKC computes the numbers (they are updated every year) so that majors are only available at about 5-15% of the shows. If you don't travel, then it will likely take a LONG time to finish.

But in answer to your question, if there are majors and your dog is nice, it theory, it could finish in only 3 shows that are all 5 pointers. But that is VERY RARE. Most Bostons are finished by the time they are 1-2 years of age.

Why would Bostons not be permitted to show? Their tails are NOT docked. That is a disqualification. They are bred for very short, almost no tail. Not allowing them to show because they "appear" docked seems pretty unfair.

Gotta go for now. Will respond to your point system after I have time to "think it over." Have a great night!

No I didnt mean Bostons, just general tail docking lol.
So is a Major show like a Championship show?
Can you get most of your points at Open shows?
In England we have Companion shows, these can be non KC registered, if they are non KC reg, and you have a show dog, you are not allowed to enter them, not even for the waggy tail class lol.
If the companion show is KC reg, you can enter if your dog has not got a JW, Rs CC or CC, but dont get any points for anything you win, some big show people frown on these shows, but I like to use them for practise with new puppies or problem dogs. Also they are great fun and are used to raise money for Charities.
Then there is the Limit Show, run by a local dog club, these are limited to 75 classes and any dog that has won either a CC or any win that counts towards the status of Champion is ineligible for entry. You still get no points.
Then we have an Open show a smaller type of show, open to all. Champions can be entered but not many are. Quite often dogs and bitches of one breed are judged together. you get points towards your JW ( Junior Warrent).
Then the Championship show Challenge Certificates are on offer for most breeds. They are normally large shows, lasting a few days. Your dog does not, however, have to have done any previous winning to attend these shows. you get CC's and JW points.
Bostons are very unusual in England, you dont get many to a class, so less CC's are offered, it sound like the same in The USA.
If a breed has a low entry do they get less Majors, but a breed with a large entry get more Majors?
I find it strange how all the countries have different ways with their point systems, it makes it very confusing for people who want a international champion.
Some people in England will take their dog to france, belgium or Ireland to get it to be a champion, because it is easier for them to get championship status this way, or if they cant make their dog up in England the will do this.
The thing I like about Crufts, is you get dogs from all over the world competeing. and altho some countries dont have many of a certain breed, the standard of their dogs are much higher than some of the English dogs. Look at the final line up last year at Crufts, they were mostly International dogs that got through, and an American dog won.
Utility Group are on the same day I am going to Crufts, I will try and get some pics of the Bostons for you.
Nicky

We don't have "Open" or "Champion" shows per se. However, most of our all breed shows are similar to your "open" shows. We do have a few shows each year that are similar to your "champion" shows, but there are only a couple.

The Westminster show in February (in New York City) is open to champions only. It is a limited show and only the Top Five in each breed is "guaranteed" a spot if they choose to enter. All other dogs in that breed may or may not be accepted, depending upon the number of dogs entered and when the entry is received.

The AKC/Eukanuba Inviational show is for champions and Best in Show winners only. It is an invitation only show that goes out to the Top 25 dogs in each breed as well as any dog that has won a Best in Show or finished its champion ship from the Bred By Exhibitor class. This show changes location and is held either in southern California or Florida.

There are also a couple other shows (I think only 2 or so) in which only dogs that have placed first in their class against competition. I am going to one at the end of this month in Daly City, California. It is a benched show (do you know what that is?).

Yes, I do hope to make it to Crufts one day. I can't imagine how exciting it would be for me. The dog that one last year was beautiful (the Australian Shepherd). His handler is an acquaintance of mine and is a VERY nice person and an excellent handler. He is one of the best in the U.S., so are his wife and step-daughter. We had a party for him in March and it was VERY fun!

What is your mailing address? I will see if I can find some Judging Schedules or some old programs for shows and send them to you so you can see how the points work. Points are different by gender, by breed, by region. As an example, for Bostons in California it takes 5 dogs for 2 points, but it takes 8 bitches for 2 points. In the same state, it takes 17 dogs in Great Danes for 2 points and 24 bitches. So, yes, it can be VERY difficult to get majors for some breeds in some areas.

In the U.S., we have 7 groups and Bostons are in Group 6-Non-Sporting. In other countries, they are in the Companion & Toy Group, and still others in the Utility Group. Funny....

So much to learn!
I just got back from our local ringcraft club, it was Match night tonight so took the Cresties along, one got a first, the other nothing, The huskies cannot go as over qualified.
Someone told me once that when you make a Champion up in the USA, it is not allowed to compete in the normal classes, only in a Champion class, it this right?