Dogomania

Dog Park Problem

Johnnykick

[SIZE=2]On my first visit to a dog park with our new 6 month old puppy (Shitzo - Scottish Terrier mix), she became frightened and would yelp when other dogs got too close. At one point, an aggressive greyhound became excited and pinned her down and the yelping drew every dog in the park to a mob scene. Without thinking, I retrieved my dog and lifted her above my head until the pack dispersed. I'm thinking I should have put my puppy into a submissive position and corrected her to stop the yelping. Correct? If so, would have the other dogs taken advantage or just relaxed?[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...

Does your dog do this everytime its in contact with other dogs ??

If so, let your dog meet other "friendly" dogs and with age it will get used to meeting other dogs. but instead of picking up your dog you should have gone down to his/her level and hold her close to your side, that way it'l get a sense of (its ok) and play with the other dog to show its friendly
hope this helps

• 1 year later...

You might try small dog groups at first. Or if you live in a bigger city there might be a place that has puppy "happy hours" where the puppies can go into a room and play with other puppies for an hour or two. That is how we started to socialize our boston terrier when she was a puppy. We gradually moved to the dog park, beach etc.