Dogomania

sudden aggression issues

Lady_Jedi

My basset/lab mix is having some aggression issues. He had no issues the first year that we got him, but this year have noticed that he is more vocal and protective around us and the house. He has started scaring some of the children in our neighborhood when we go out for walks, and he used to have no problems with kids. Sometimes he has no problem with them, but other times he will try to jump up on them, barking and they run away which makes him want to chase them. When this happens, sometimes it seems as if he is trying to play, but other times he seems to be more aggressive. If he sees anyone, even people he usually knows and likes, when we are out on a walk, he will start to snarl, growl deeply and then bark visiously. He's taken an instant dislike to bikes and skateboards. He almost went through the screen on our storm door the last time he saw the mailman delivering our mail. Is there anything we can do to stop this behavior?

normally i might run thru a detailed behavior modification plan but there are so many things going on and so many things to consider that the best i am gonna do is ask that you find a positive trainer in your area (pm me if you need help) and do a couple private lessons to get you on the right track.

how old is you dog and from where did you got him? and ofcourse like K asked is he Neutered?
it looks like really big problem of domints that started small and only got biger with time, i advise to start trainiing ( mybe with Halti ) fast as you can find a good trainer.
you will probably need to neuter him if he not yet, work with Halti and crate to show him his place at home.
also does he growls on you? is he waling outside alone or of leash?
how he acts with visitors when they come home and how YOU react when he starts his bad behavior home and outside, how he reacts when you do somthing to corect him?

• 3 months later...

DIFFERENT TYPES OF AGGRESSION

Aggression is one of the main reasons that dogs are euthanised or rehomed; at least 30% of all dogs in rescue centres are there because of the incidence of aggressive behaviour in one form or another. It is actually unusual to have a dog that is aggressing to have just one type of aggression; most dogs have more than one of the following types of behaviour.
It would be prudent, before embarking on any program of aggressive behaviour modification, to rule out any medical reasons for that behaviour, especially if there is a sudden change in the dog