Dogomania

Very Sick Blk Lab

StarrLover

Hi All,

I have a very sick lab....just a quick run down...he has leisions in his brain and brain stem...its one of 2 things Valley Fever which is a fugal infection or Brain cancer. Hes on meds for the VF but nothing can be done for cancer. He has good days and bad ones more good than bad though....but lately his nights and mornings are horrible.....and the lastest thing going on is he has the shakes. But it only in the morning or the middle of the night which is really strange. The vets cant explain it either. One doctor saw him yesterday and stared him on some other pain meds and said he was in pain :cry: . By the afternoon yesterday he was great wanted to play and felt really good, now this morning the shakes are back, we did sleep last night (for a change) so that was good. Anyone have any thoughts about why its only at night and morning as to why this happens? I have spent a small fortune on him and am at a lost as to what to do now.
Thanks
[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/ksqueenie/starr.jpg[/img][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/ksqueenie/5.gif[/img]

[quote name='rotten_two']howdy. sorry starr is having a rough time of it. have you seen an oncologist? or a neurologist? have they done blood work to look for elevated white cell count?[/quote]

Done it all....Have spent about 15,000 on him since June....2 MRI, 2 Spinal Taps, x-ray, blood work....everything that they can test for they have. Nueroligist is the one doing everything now....There is no way to biopsy his brain.....everything comes back neg. except for the one test for the fungal infection, hes had seisures. Its just a mess....

[quote name='rotten_two']so then the fungal infection is a positive diagnosis? poor puppy i had a spinal tap and that was quite an ordeal -- i can't imagine doing it again![/quote]

Yes it is.....but.....I dont think thats it ( just my gut feeling)....the larger the number the worse it should be....his is really small and he is RAELLY sick. This has been going on since June and he not getting any better.[img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/ksqueenie/poorbaby.jpg[/img]

ok so i did some quick research on valley fever and i found a site with good detail about the disease. i don't know how much of this is new to you or how much you already know. given the lesions and the seizures it sounds like this infection has attacked starr's cns. the website explains that in those cases the dog may have to be on anti-fungals for the rest of their life -- but you can manage it which is great news. one thing i will suggest is that if he does have bad days or pain you might think of acupuncture to help with these symptoms (a vet acupuncturist that is). my dogs get acupuncture as needed and it helps them tremendously.

so here is the website . . .
[url]http://www.vfce.arizona.edu/VFID-dodogs.htm[/url] it has lots of good info. i wish you and starr the best. pleae keep us updated :D

[quote name='rotten_two']ok so i did some quick research on valley fever and i found a site with good detail about the disease. i don't know how much of this is new to you or how much you already know. given the lesions and the seizures it sounds like this infection has attacked starr's cns. the website explains that in those cases the dog may have to be on anti-fungals for the rest of their life -- but you can manage it which is great news. one thing i will suggest is that if he does have bad days or pain you might think of acupuncture to help with these symptoms (a vet acupuncturist that is). my dogs get acupuncture as needed and it helps them tremendously. [/quote]

Yes....Thank You...I know all about it...more than I ever cared to know....I just think it might be the cancer given how bad he is and has been. I hope not...but like I said its a gut feeling I have....these shakes hes having are something new and he has lost the muscle in his face and his left side legs are getting weak.

[quote name='rotten_two']honestly all that stuff still sounds like central nervous system problems. try to think pawsitive :D if we don't speak the "c" word maybe it won't be that![/quote]

Yes it is.....because of the leisions in his brain and brain stem its affecting his central nervous system...the first MRI was in July he had 2 spots and the 1 on the brain stem...in Oct he had 4 spots.

[quote name='StarrLover']Yes it is.....because of the leisions in his brain and brain stem its affecting his central nervous system...the first MRI was in July he had 2 spots and the 1 on the brain stem...in Oct he had 4 spots.[/quote]

yes it is what? the 'c' word? you're not working with me here! confirmed brain cancer? i have no experience with that one -- maybe someone else can help ya!

[quote name='rotten_two'][quote name='StarrLover']Yes it is.....because of the leisions in his brain and brain stem its affecting his central nervous system...the first MRI was in July he had 2 spots and the 1 on the brain stem...in Oct he had 4 spots.[/quote]

yes it is what? the 'c' word? you're not working with me here! confirmed brain cancer? i have no experience with that one -- maybe someone else can help ya![/quote]

No....Yes it is the central nervous system.....because of the leisions in his brain and brain stem its affecting his central nervous system.

have you asked the neuro whether there is an anti-seizure med he could use until maybe you can manage the fungal infection? maybe it won't be effective or maybe you already asked -- just trying to think of something you haven't tried :D hope all works out for starr and he continues to have more good days than bad!

[quote name='rotten_two']have you asked the neuro whether there is an anti-seizure med he could use until maybe you can manage the fungal infection? maybe it won't be effective or maybe you already asked -- just trying to think of something you haven't tried :D hope all works out for starr and he continues to have more good days than bad![/quote]

Oh ya...hes on all that stuff already....yesterday afternoon was great as normal....but now it morning so moving really slow and letting out yelps...
:(

How old is he ?[/quote]

He will be 7 next month....He seems to be doing better on this new pain medicine....he was even Ok this morning for the very first time....woohoo
:Dog_run: [img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/ksqueenie/victory.gif[/img][img]http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c327/ksqueenie/thumbs-up.gif[/img]