Dogomania

Uneasy around?

Ash

Are you comfortable around all dogs?

I volunteered here at the animal shelter (I want to start doing it regularly but I have no transportation, while it's open), a while back.

I just took the dogs for walks along the road and animal shelter, and outside to play, but I only took the ones out that I felt comfortable with. I must admit, most were labs or labmixes. I should add that's what the shelter mostly had too.

There was this little dog that I felt completely uncomfortable with, and I'm talking like 20 lbs.. His name was Tommy..he'd been in the shelter 3 times, supposedely he gets protective and had to be muzzled on walks. Anyways the shelter worker, asked if he growled at me and if I minded taking him out for a walk? I said ofcourse not but I was kind of uneasy about it. Anyways he was really sweet, to me and my boyfrined (he's afraid of dogs completely but getting over it)...But I was just wondering to those of you that volunteer at shelters, are there just some dogs you're not really comfortable with?

I'm comfortable around most dogs. I usually make a point to take out the older or more "difficult" dogs when I volunteer at the shelter.

The only thing that makes me feel uncomfortable is when the dog is [i]totally[/i] uninterested in me, because then the animal's feelings/what he or she is going to do can be harder to read.

Guest Mutts4Me

As a normal citizen, I'm not uneasy around any particular breeds.

As a groomer, I can't help but get a little twist in my stomach when a Springer Spaniel walks in... or cowers in... *shudders* Cocker Spaniels also make me nervous. I don't trust either, although there are a couple individuals in each breed that I like.

Shih Tzus, Lhasas, Yorkies, and Dachshunds tend to be evil as far as grooming goes, but they don't necessarily make me nervous, just.. grrr :roll:

As for Chows and Akitas - I get along well with them, especially Akitas. I try to give the new people a head's up on their ... uniqueness... because they do tend to communicate a bit differently. Just the other day, a bather said an Akita wouldn't let her hand dry him, and I went over and spent a good half hour drying knelt down beside him, drying him without issue, although he prefered I not dry around his head, and I didn't argue :wink:

Funny, I just copied this reply from another forum, where someone just basically asked the same question, although eveyone there seemed more willing to name a couple breeds (chow chows and akitas the most frequently listed) :)

[quote name='Mutts4Me']As a groomer, I can't help but get a little twist in my stomach when a Springer Spaniel walks in... or cowers in... *shudders* Cocker Spaniels also make me nervous. I don't trust either, although there are a couple individuals in each breed that I like. [/quote]

Ohh yes.. gotta love springers! :lol: There are bad apples in each breed, but they seem to be more in the springer family then others. Rambuncious little smurfs. :lol:

I get uneasy around dogs that are very very very shy.. mainly because I cant read them as well.

Guest Mutts4Me

[quote name='ESSlover'][quote name='Mutts4Me']As a groomer, I can't help but get a little twist in my stomach when a Springer Spaniel walks in... or cowers in... *shudders* Cocker Spaniels also make me nervous. I don't trust either, although there are a couple individuals in each breed that I like. [/quote]

Ohh yes.. gotta love springers! :lol: There are bad apples in each breed, but they seem to be more in the springer family then others. Rambuncious little smurfs. :lol: [/quote]

Well, more than rambunctious, the springers and cockers tend to be skittish, nervous, fear-biting freaks... makes our job lovely, especially when you get the owner dragging their wild-eyed, scared s***less spaniel in to be groomed, insisting not only is the little angel as docile as can be, but that the other groomers who've had to muzzle them in the past must've done something to hurt them, because Snoopy wouldn't hurt a fly. But no, I don't lump breeds together and suggest all spaniels are as such. I've groomed a couple of each who were rather stable and friendly... Just the same, like I said, I can't help the little twist I now feel when I run across a spaniel, especially of those two varieties.

Guest Anonymous

Does the sight of any one breed make me more cautious? No.

Are their dogs that for one reason or another make me uncomfortable? Yes. Are those reasons valid? No

Sometimes your gut just tells you to be careful. There are some dogs I won't go near. I won't have anything to do with them. In fact I know a girl who runs a Chi and small dog rescue. My Cindy that came from her is only the second small dog that I've even petted from her group? Why? I'm TERRIFIED of small dogs.

I'm pretty much a combo of Tammy and Abker. I will always take the bigger dogs out first when I am volunteering before I'll take the smaller ones. (Plus the other "main" volunteer is more comfortable with smaller dogs so it works out.) I am pretty wary of any dog that is totally aloof and doesn't want to have any sort of interaction, not even a check out sniff.

there is no particular type of dog I am uncomfortable around...but I have never been bitten, either.

I am always cautious around dogs giving off bad body-language vibes....it doesnt matter what kind, the two Chi's next door are ruthless about trying to bite through the fence, yet theres a man here that walks this completely beautiful GSD mix around, who is not friendly, but will be patient and allow attention if his master says its ok...

[quote name='Mutts4Me'][quote name='ESSlover'][quote name='Mutts4Me']As a groomer, I can't help but get a little twist in my stomach when a Springer Spaniel walks in... or cowers in... *shudders* Cocker Spaniels also make me nervous. I don't trust either, although there are a couple individuals in each breed that I like. [/quote]

Ohh yes.. gotta love springers! :lol: There are bad apples in each breed, but they seem to be more in the springer family then others. Rambuncious little smurfs. :lol: [/quote]

Well, more than rambunctious, the springers and cockers tend to be skittish, nervous, fear-biting freaks... makes our job lovely, especially when you get the owner dragging their wild-eyed, scared s***less spaniel in to be groomed, insisting not only is the little angel as docile as can be, but that the other groomers who've had to muzzle them in the past must've done something to hurt them, because Snoopy wouldn't hurt a fly. But no, I don't lump breeds together and suggest all spaniels are as such. I've groomed a couple of each who were rather stable and friendly... Just the same, like I said, I can't help the little twist I now feel when I run across a spaniel, especially of those two varieties.[/quote]

I have never met a shy springer. Ever. :o :lol: Although, I have met a few fear - biters. They seem to be little babies at times. :roll: Like Carse, who had his hackles up and barkin at a freakin fly.. :lol: