Dogomania

Dog beds?

Ash

Does your dog have one? Where did you get them?

Since me and my brother (he just left) have grown up and moved away from home, Smokie likes to sleep in my parents room but they don't have a dog bed (he slept in our beds before). I'd like to get him one for xmas. I'm not sure I like the ones they have here at walmart, I think it'd be just as easy to make one(I'm into sewing), but I'm not sure.

I'd like to get him the rounded ones with the mat and not the big pillow types.
He's aroung 60-65 lbs, any ideas where to get them? They are way to small for him the ones at walmart.

i have one dog bed, it's a rectangular type one, i got it at the tractor store where i get my dog food..its ok..just your regular dog bed.
i also just gave them the huge round coushon from my papason since the wood part broke..they like that :lol:

since you like sewing i'd definately make your own, it's usually cheaper and then you can design it anyway you want :D

Kes sleeps in her crate with a blanket. I couldn't trust her with a dog bed as she would eat it to pieces :roll:

Try petsmart or petco or one of the feed stores if you have them for a dog bed and take your dog with you so he can test it for himself and that way you get a good idea of what size is appropriate. :wink:

I live out in no where, in most places in the Upper Pennisula of MI we are lucky to have a walmart, lol-- super at that! Maybe I will try them online, at their websites.

Thanks everyone, I'm considering making it but now I'm thinking I'd like to take the easy way out, lol.

Whether you buy or make it, choose foam instead of batting. I've found that the ones stuffed with "fiberfill" are sooop wonderful at first, but after a couple of weeks they get very lumpy.

Twice I have completely replaced the filling in expensive commercial beds with the little foam pieces; these work great. By my experience some dogs are put off by the ones with solid foam mats though.

I'm sure you could make a much better one than you could buy, but I understand the lazy factor! :P

You know those egg crate type of mattress pads? You can cut those to whatever size you need and then make a really simple cover for it... think of a glorified pillowcase with one open end. You can either leave the end open, or use velcro fasteners (I don't bother trying to do zippers... too much trouble). It really only takes a few minutes to make, and it's simple as falling off a log. We like to cut those pads to size and then double or even triple them over so that they're really thick and plush.

Another thought is to see if you can find some old furniture that still has halfway decent cushions. You can recycle those cushions as dog beds and cover them the way you want to.

Definitely the plushy pillow beds at our house. :roll: Otherwise Cosmic will give us his "I can't believe you're treating me this way" look the whole day. And try to hijack OUR pillows.

Ours are filled with (supposedly) some sort of superior fluff. But they still get flat! :-? :P Sucks but thankfully a quick trip to the laundromat gets them all poofy again! I have no idea what the laundry guys to to the beds.

We go threw a LOT of dog beds around here. Right now we have two, one in Zebras crate and one under the kitchen table...but right now the one under the table is in the ER. Mr.Pillow had a very unfortunate accident with Zebras teeth. :-? :roll: Zeb likes to um...how do I put this?..Get to "know" (in the biblical sense) his pillows. After he umm...finishes getting to know them he rips them up. I think this year alone we have gone threw half a dozen pillows.

HF-Hmm that egg crate foam bed sounds interesting. I think I'm going to have to try that.

:lol: Mei-Mei

Actually, I called my brother and he was planning on getting him the same thing for xmas. His girlfriends mom is really into dogs, and got her dogs nice beds online. So we decided to each go in half and get Smokie a nice bed for xmas!

Thanks so much guys!

Hi,

I get my dog-beds at Costco. They are biiiiiiiiiiiiiig, and they're cheap ! :wink:
Having a Dane means, having lots and lots of dog-beds. :oops:
None of my dogs shred their beds - thank God. Daytona once ripped a sofa to shreds, but that was a few years ago. He won't do that anymore. :lol:

Anyways - a Costco-bed is about $20 and worth every penny. :)

• 3 years later...

Does he actually SLEEP in this bed? He may be trying to tell you HE HATES THE DAMN BED AND REFUSES to be treated like an animal by having a doggie bed! I bought my dogs a bed and NOPE they sleep with us! New beds went to Humane Spciety!!!! They have a spray you can try spraying on the bed that keeps some dogs from tinkling there- but doesnt always work

• 2 weeks later...

Dry leather needs rehydrating with water and oils and waxes should not be used as the natural oils do not dry out of leather. Wiping over with a damp cloth regularly will help to do this.

It is important to maintain a regular cleaning regime cleaning dirt off the surface regularly and inhibiting the absorption of body oils into the leather with a protector is the best way of doing this.