Dogomania

Adoption fees?

Ash

Guest Anonymous

Well, it depends. Where I live at the humane society the adoption fee is $60 for adult dogs and cats and $75 for puppies and kittens. However, when I was looking into resucing a Saint Bernard, the S.B. rescue foundation in GA's adoption fee was $300. Of course, that's just to help defray their costs for taking care of the big babies. From what I understand that doesn't usually cover everything that they have to do to get the dogs ready for adoption.

I would think that breed rescues charge a higher adoption fee than your average humane society or other local agency would. Here our HS also charges a higher adoption fee for a purebred dog. Helps them meet their bills I guess. I do have to say that I don't think I would ever pay $300 adoption fee for a mix though. Mainly because there are so many out there that need good homes and I feel like I could do more good with my money elsewhere.

Yeah 300, just seemed really steep to me. I guess it's in IL oops, i thought it was lower MI.

[url]http://www.animalhouseshelter.com/[/url]

They have a really nice website up. I don't think I'd pay 300$ either. But they do have some beautiful dogs there. Ohh it's 300 for each dog. 150 for a cat.

Guest Anonymous

That just seems really expensive to me. I think that this rescue would have to explain to me why they charge such a high adoption fee before I would consider adopting from them.

As a rescuer, I can tell exactly why we charge $300. for a dog (we are a PB rescue).

Pull fee from the shelter $45.00

Vet checkup complete with vaccinations, exam and if a dog pulled from a crowded shelter with unknown history, a CBC and Superchem panel 175.00

Speutering, $60 to $90

Microchip, $15

Food, supplies (Frontline, Heartguard) for dog while in foster home (on average) $80.

Time, paperwork, gas and phonebills spent on adoption, (best guess, never added it up) $50?

These are all discounted rescue prices too (vetting and speutering), still think $300. is too much to adopt a dog :wink: ?
Even if we're lucky enough to pull a dog with vac and health records, whatever money that we don't have to spend is still used for the other dogs that have special medical needs, or those in boarding because we ran out of foster space.
And you'll never be able to purchase a pup with all of that provided already for that price, so even a mixed breed puppy who has already been fully vetted is a bargain.

Loki we all know that it costs a lot for the rescues and shelters, but they shouldnt expect the adoption fee to cover all the costs of the pet. Even if 300 isnt enough to cover all the costs of care, I dont think thats very reasonable. JMO. Straydog charges 125, I think its the perfect fee... not too high, not too low.

I understand the need for money in rescues and shelters but I think theres a line between trying to raise some money and being too extreme. For purebreds, I guess after the last debate I can understand raising it bit, but I think 400 or even 300 is too much. 275 or under seems fair to me. Someone could go to a good breeder and pay for a dog that will be far more predictable, as far as behaviour and health, for the same price that a rescue is asking for a dog that obviously couldnt have been bred well if it ended up in rescue. Which option do you think the average person would choose? People stereotype dogs from shelters as "bad" dogs and ones from breeders (responsible or not) as being "good" dogs.

But anyhoo, thats what I think. I see all the points being made and I understand what everyones saying. Im all for rescues and shelters getting more money but I just think the fees are getting a bit rediculous. :-?

Where in heavens name will you find a reputable breeder who will sell even a pet quality pup for $300. ? And then you still have to complete the rest of the puppy vacs, neuter it, vet it, etc., which will add up to way more than $300. If you add up the numbers above, they're still quite a bit above what we ask for an adoption fee, and we don't have the luxury of a physical building or public donations or grants to do what we do. Plus the fact that I MUST speuter every dog before adoption, otherwise I would be in violation of a city law, not to mention it would be irresponsible if I didn't.
CC, I don't know where you are, but here in the NYC area, prices for vetting are exhorbitant (spays are about $225., neuters around $200., if you're lucky), so I don't think our adoption fees are out of line for what we provide. And if we didn't charge an adoption fee that covered 60% of what we do, then how would we stay in business?

Guest Anonymous

Loki, I'm from South Carolina and I must say that I just had Luke my bulldog fixed and it was only $75. That isn't with any discount, just based on his weight. Perhaps vet prices where you live are a lot more than here, but I would still have a problem laying down $300 for a mixed breed adoption. Now, I would lay down that fee for a purebred Saint or Bulldog. Before anyone jumps all over me, it's simply because I've done my research and know what all goes into adopting a Saint or Bulldog from the rescue that is endorsed by the breed club.

I understand that rescues need money to operate and it's expensive to take care of animals. However, I think a lot of people might be put off by such a high adoption fee and choose to go to a breeder instead. Or the potential adopters could just go to the same kill shelter you pull your dogs out of and adopt from there. Just my two cents though.

Hi there,

a few years ago I got a dog from a kill-shelter. They charged $160 and that included half of the cost to have her spayed. That price may have gone up by now - not sure.
Anyways - I find $300 reasonable when you consider all the cost that goes into caring for these animals. :wink:
I wanted to adopt a puppy this year from rescue, and I was told I couldn't because my Dane is not neutered. :roll: THAT's a policy most rescues have, and in my opinion that's a policy that needs to be revised. WHY on earth can't I adopt a puppy because I own an intact dog? :evilbat: Do they think he'll eat little pups because he's hormone-driven or something? Doesn't make sense to me at all........... That's a policy that should be changed and applications should be treated individually........... After all, a part of the adoption-process is to have the adopted dog neutered/spayed, and last I heard, that pretty much rules out the breeding of two animals, right? :lol:
I have three intact dogs living with me, and no - I don't intend to breed them. :) (:oops: - off topic........ sorry ! :oops: :angel:)

Niki was adopted from the Humane Society for $150.00.

Bozy was adopted from ARPH, an Aussie rescue, for $200.00.

Buddy was adopted from a high kill shelter in Eastern WA and I paid $75.00.

All were altered and vetted. So you see it really varies from one organization to another as to how they charge. In a nut shell, I dont think that $300.00 to adopt a dog is too much.

Baxter's fee was $200 (tax deductible). He is fixed, UTD on shots and heartworm and had been relying on the kindness of strangers (rescue) for about a year. I think it was reasonable, considering the cost of vetting and feeding a large dog. Plus that money goes to help the next one.

[quote name='Sabine']
I wanted to adopt a puppy this year from rescue, and I was told I couldn't because my Dane is not neutered. :roll: THAT's a policy most rescues have, and in my opinion that's a policy that needs to be revised. WHY on earth can't I adopt a puppy because I own an intact dog? :evilbat: Do they think he'll eat little pups because he's hormone-driven or something? Doesn't make sense to me at all........... That's a policy that should be changed and applications should be treated individually........... After all, a part of the adoption-process is to have the adopted dog neutered/spayed, and last I heard, that pretty much rules out the breeding of two animals, right? :lol:
I have three intact dogs living with me, and no - I don't intend to breed them. :) (:oops: - off topic........ sorry ! :oops: :angel:)[/quote]

Sabine, as someone who runs a rescue I can tell you that yes, you would be denied as an adopter because you have intact animals, and no, it's not because we would think "he'll eat little pups because he's hormone-driven".
It's because unless you're a professional top notch breeder, or your dog has a documented medical condition, there is no reason to have unaltered dogs in this day and age, and it's a red flag to almost every rescue I know. Our concern is one of history, i.e. if you couldn't be bothered to speuter your dog when it should have been done, will you be so cavalier if the dog needs real medical attention? Not to mention that shit happens, what if one of your intact dogs got loose and impregnated another? And yes, it happens, all the time.
And while many rescues do alter animals prior to adoption, many DON"T, relying on the adopter to get it done and then show the rescue proof of speutering in a reasonable time frame.

Loki, again, I understand what youre saying and maybe things are more expensive near you, but around here, I would find that unreasonable. I wouldnt pay 300 for a rescue dog, JMHO. Alright, maybe I would if I did really like the dog :lol: but Id rather be using that money to buy supplies for my new pet. If I want to donate more money, I will. Whatever though, like whats been said, money is money. Its for a good cause.

WOW! The prices you all are posting are expensive. :o Theres a clinic in Dallas that will neuter a dog for $25 and spay a dog for $30, regardless of weight.

Sabine, why do you have intact dogs anyway? Is it just because youre showing them? If so, showing is just to gain breeding rights, but you dont plan to breed your dogs, as you said... so whats the point? :-? Just curious. I would highly suggest getting your pets spayed/neutered.

I think that rescues could adopt out to a home with intact dogs provided the right reasoning behind it... but most people in rescue dont agree to breeding, so thats a slim chance.

[quote name='Lokipups']

Sabine, as someone who runs a rescue I can tell you that yes, you would be denied as an adopter because you have intact animals, and no, it's not because we would think "he'll eat little pups because he's hormone-driven".
It's because unless you're a professional top notch breeder, or your dog has a documented medical condition, there is no reason to have unaltered dogs in this day and age, and it's a red flag to almost every rescue I know. Our concern is one of history, i.e. if you couldn't be bothered to speuter your dog when it should have been done, will you be so cavalier if the dog needs real medical attention? Not to mention that shiny happens, what if one of your intact dogs got loose and impregnated another? And yes, it happens, all the time.
And while many rescues do alter animals prior to adoption, many DON"T, relying on the adopter to get it done and then show the rescue proof of speutering in a reasonable time frame.[/quote]

Hi Loki,

I am aware that I have an intact male running around the house. (At the time he was the only one........:wink:) Tessa will be spayed in a month or two - before her first heat anyways. The other intact male is a "house-guest" who belongs to a breeder. My male is a multiple BOB winner, CH, CGC, TDI and otherwise awardwinning therapy dog. I had him bred ONCE - he is seven years old now. Yes - I am a responsible dog-owner who puts great thought into her dogs' well-being and care.
I lost one of my beloved dogs this year to cancer after fighting for him for years and spending almost $25 ooo on his health.
I ended up BUYING from a (reputable) breeder, because rescues do not look at a dog-owner as an individual person. I've trained dogs for more than thirty years now. Started with Schutzhund back in Germany and I'm teaching Obedience at the local club now.
We were TRYING to provide a foster home to ten Katrina Dogs. We couldn't foster, because we had unaltered dogs.
Either those dogs need help, or they don't - and we were willing to give that help, but were denied. Why is it, that breeders and rescue don't seem to be able to work together?
Where I come from (Germany that is :D) the minority of dogs are altered, and there is something called "responsible ownership". Works like a charm, and I can't say that we had dogs running wild multiplying like fruitflies. :wink: The requirements for breeding a pedigreed dog in Germany are by far tougher than they are here. (No comparison!) Yes, I agree, only dogs who will improve the standards of their breed should be bred. We are on the same wavelength here, the only point where we disagree is the one about individualizing pet-adoption. In my humble opinion, far more dogs could be adopted out if rescue-groups were a whee-bit more flexible as to who they will adopt out to. :wink: That's all ! :D

Having said that: I am all for spaying and neutering a pet-dog !! No doubt about it. I have a show-quality Shiloh Shepherd, but since I am NOT interested in breeding her, she will be spayed. I just want you to understand where I am coming from: I could have saved a dog and given him a loving home with the best care possible. Just because my sweet, old Dane, who wouldn't hurt a fly, is not neutered, I was denied that option. Think about it !! (BTW: My Dane does group visits at hospitals and nursing homes, fundraisers and even Meet -and greets for the Dane Rescue, and he has been less of a problem than some of his neutered counterparts. :D)

Edit: My little male houseguest is with us at the moment, because the bitches at my breeder-friends home are in heat. He stays with me, so accidents won't happen. :lol: I have a little pack of dogs in the house at the moment and they all live in perfect harmony. One puppy-bitch and two intact males. :angel: All's fine ! :D

MIchele - I guess you're right........ *bigsigh* I just want them to be more flexible sometimes. :wink: I've been supporting our local rescues for years now. That's why I'm just wondering........... :roll: :)
Oh well - one of these days I will be allowed to save a life too. :D :drinking:

Our shelter charges $140 for dogs and puppies and $90 for kittens and cats. They have all their shots and are neutered or spayed unless they're too young, then you're given a gift certificate to get it done when they're older. It's also a no-kill shelter.
I think those are good prices but I've heard people complain that they're too high! :-? :)

[quote name='pyrless']It's not that purebred rescue is necessarily against breeding, but we know what quality breeding stock is and what is not, and most dogs in rescue are not. You can't go around breeding pyrs that are off size, off color, whatever, what is the point of that?[/quote]

Hi Pyr,

I somehow don't get the context to your post. :oops: Who were you referring to?
I agree with you: Purebreds should only be bred if they are good enough to improve the breed. :) Otherwise: Have them spayed or neutered. :wink:

All three of my puppers (who came from the same no-kill shelter) were each $100. That's a pretty average adoption fee from that shelter, although they did have the two Landseers that they were asking $500 adoption fee for.

I just checked, and now "my" shelter has a little of Standard Poodles puppies with a $425 adoption fee each.