Dogomania
Sign in to follow this  
Alan

Is this EVER correct? > pitbull

I had a discussion tonight about the word pitbull. I was told that American Pit Bull Terrier is spelled as I just did. However, "pitbull" refers to a type of dog and the spelling would be correct.

While I understand, that to some people, pitbull can be and "fighting dog". I dont agree that it is the proper use of the word. I think the only "pitbull" is The American Pit Bull Terrier and therefore, pitbull is not a word.

To me pitbull (Pit Bull) is just short for American Pit Bull Terrier.

So what do you think? Is it correct to say "pitbull" when refering to an American Stafordshire Terrier or a Staffordshire Bull Terrier or even a Tosa or Akita?

The words pitbull, pitt bull, Pit Bull, and all the other ones ...well, they annoy me. Theres too many different uses...
When capitalized its short for APBT, when its not its a type of dog. I think its rediculous that almost all dogs of fighting origion are labeled pit bulls. Maybe pit dogs, because thats what they are/were, but not pit bull.

The ONLY breed with both words "pit" and "bull" in the name, is the American PIT BULL Terrier, so of course, they get the bad name... not the other "pit bulls". Im with you, the only pit bull is the APBT.

Its idiotic... :roll: I mean, when the media says "pit bull attacks" they may be correct since its definition is a dog of the pit dog type characteristics. That could include labs for heavens sake!
EDITed to add: Kat, for instance, has wrinkles on her forhead, semi-prick ears, and a stocky, medium-build body. (Ignorant) people would probably label her a pit bull. :-?

Alan, you asked in another thread "Is the term pit bull used too loosely?" well my answer is hell yeah! :o :x .... :P

[quote name='Rainbow']I agree with what was said. For me pitt bull is APBT.
[/quote]

One T! One T! Else you'll be attacked by the evil monsters from the black lagoon. :o

Guest Anonymous
[quote name='ESSlover'][quote name='Rainbow']I agree with what was said. For me pitt bull is APBT.
[/quote]

One T! One T! Else you'll be attacked by the evil monsters from the black lagoon. :o[/quote]
:evilbat: That must be me??
It drives me completely insane when someone claims to know about APBTs but spells it "pitbull, pittbull, pitt bull...".
I understand someone who doesnt really know about the breed but people who claim to know about them should know the proper spelling.

I am new to THIS site, however NOT new to pit bulls..... for me the name is well used incorrectly. AmStaffs are NOT pit bulls any longer, the breeds are being seperated. Sadly, ignorant people still don't realize that American Staffordshires are NOT pit bulls, nor is anything related to them. AmStaff can be AKC registered where as APBT can't. Just ONE difference in the breeds.
APBT are what true pits are about.
The problem is that undeducated people use pit bull incorrectly and therefore what would be correct is no longer correct.
If you were asking about grammer or spelling. There is another problem.
If you do searches on the internet it all comes up..... including but not limited to pittbull which is completely incorrect. There are not 2 t's in the name and never have been.
Your question is the term ever correct? Yes and no is that answer.
In order to get a full internet search you must use all terms and spellings regardless of proper spelling or grammer.