Dogomania

Can anyone tell me?

hunterr1950

Hi! I just found your site & was wondering if anyone could tell from Annie’s picture what breed she “really” is??

Annie was in a vet hospital where her previous owners decided they didn’t want her any more at the age of 18 months. She had been very abused to the point of hearing loss (my vet thinks to blows to her head because of old scars).

The person that contacted me about Annie & asked if I would take her – the hospital couldn’t find anyone to adopt & were going to put her down. Said she was an English Mastiff. When they drove Annie to my home – I knew she wasn’t English! After checking with my vets – they seemed to “think” she was a Neo. I live in a small community in Ohio so even English Mastiffs are rare! But she doesn’t have the “extra” skin around her neck like most Neo. Old medical records list her only as Mastiff – Blue.

While shopping with my daughter this weekend, we found a calendar of Cane Corso that “looks” identical to Annie! I am only wondering what her breed is because of behavior issues I am dealing with now. Annie has Alpha personality, aggressiveness towards my Belgian Malinois, extremely protective to the point of some what scary at times. I understand each dog, breed have their own personalities but it would be helpful in knowing some of the “normal” behavior traits if she is a Cane Corso instead of a Neo.

Annie is “my” baby & will be here for the rest of her life!

Thanks for any help you can give me! Hopefully i can post a picture.

Linda, Annie Mae & Hunterr

[url]http://photobucket.com/albums/v202/hunterr1950/annie/th_Picture020SmallWebview.jpg[/url]

[url]http://photobucket.com/albums/v202/hunterr1950/annie/th_Annieinsnow.jpg[/url]

Annie thanks you all for the great comments. I think she was actually blushing. :oops: And Thanks for posting her pictures! I’m new at this – can’t you tell??

When I adopted Annie last Dec. she was great with both Angel (English) & Hunterr for about 3 months. When I was home, I could allow all of them loose without any problems. During play time outside, I would allow Annie & Hunterr out together & they played great even if Annie would get a little rough at time since she was still a puppy. Angel (being older - almost 8 yrs) didn’t enjoy the rough housing & had her “own” special time with me.

Around Easter of last year, Annie started to “attack” Angel for no reason. Angel would either be sleeping by Jim or just lying around when Annie would suddenly grab her by the back of the neck – refusing to release! There was never any warning.

Poor Angel would be s-o-o scared since she never had this happen to her EVER! Since Annie had hearing loss – I couldn’t get her attention to release unless I either threw water or grabbed Annie's mouth to force the release. Annie never tried to bite me or tear skin on Angel. It just sounded horrible & very frightening. After the second attack – I kept Annie separated from Angel.

Later I “thought” maybe Annie could sense that Angel was in bad health & that was why she kept attacking her.

Now that Angel is gone – Annie is now starting to attack Hunterr inside the same way! They both still play great outside & when Hunterr has had enough - can run away so I can let him back inside. I never allow them to be outside without supervision. I can take both Hunterr & Annie for walks together without any problems. It’s just the issue inside!

Now I have to keep Hunterr & Annie in different parts of the house at all times. It makes it difficult in the evenings – trying to split my time up with each baby to make sure they get “my” attention.

Another issue is that when I adopted Hunterr (Belgian Malinois) 3 years ago at 18 months- he was great with Angel. They would sleep together, & even share chewies. I thought I had a very loving, beautiful baby. Hunterr did have crate issues & wasn’t housebroken. Well, just say he was kept in a metal storage building most of his early life & only knew to do his “jobs” inside. He didn’t even know what grass was until I brought him home! He still “hates” stepping on wet grass!

One day of trying to play with Hunterr & happened throw a ball overhand. (It happened during winter time & I was wearing my large insolated coat.) Hunterr had me by my arm & on the ground before I realized what had happened. I returned to the owner & asked if he could figure out why Hunterr would act like this! He said that the only training Hunterr ever had was just basic & that “he” couldn’t understand.

I decided to get Hunterr into training classes only to find he was VERY people & dog aggressive! I finally found a very special friend & trainer that would work with Hunterr & me.

After “she” was bitten by Hunterr on the leg (stepped on Hunterr’s paw because he wasn’t watching her) & needed medical attention - She finally told me the first day of “seeing” Hunterr she recognized him from shows she had attended -- but didn’t want to “tell” me. Hunterr had been in training for Police Attack! The owner (ex-cop) was doing the training. Hunterr did great on the “attack” but refused to “release” on command. That was why the owner was selling him!!

Hunterr is now very loving towards people but still needs some work on his aggressiveness with other dogs. Or I should say – I still don’t trust him around other dogs!

If Annie does her “attack” on Hunterr one of these days when Hunterr isn’t in the “mood” I’m afraid with Hunterr’s background I will have a major problem!

I love both my babies & will never consider giving either of them up or having them “put to sleep” as has been suggested in the past. If I need to keep them separated forever (inside) – that is what I will do. I do not have many visitors coming to the house any more & none with children. My girls are grown & on their own.

If anyone has any suggestions on making both dogs understand [b]“I’m their pack leader”[/b]! I would greatly appreciate it!! Where is the “Dog Whisperer” when I need him??

Linda, Hunterr & Annie Mae